Sign in with
Your question

New i5 Gaming Build

Last response: in Systems
March 14, 2010 6:37:03 PM

I've made up my mind, I'd rather go slightly more expensive for a system that will last and be pretty decent for a pretty long time, rather than keeping it pretty cheap and wanting to upgrade again in a year (like with the computer I have now)

From what I've read, the i5-750 is a great gaming CPU, so I am wanting to go with that (unless there is better for a good price).

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Possibly today?

BUDGET RANGE: As close to $1000 as possible, but really no limit

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (MMO's and such), Surfing, Movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, Speakers, OS, Hard Drive (will be re-using a 500GB SATA)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.ca (Canadian)

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel CPU

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like a case with some good air flow. My aim here is to have a build that will feel solid, run well, and last a decent amount of time so I'm not wanting to upgrade soon. Will be playing games like Starcraft II, Diablo III, a little WoW here and there.

My chosen parts so far (always open for change!):

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

Motherboard: Asus P7P55D (not sure which one, there is a few "models" and I am not sure which is best)

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM - Retail

Thanks for any help!

More about : gaming build

March 14, 2010 6:51:22 PM

For gaming I wouldn't pick an I-5.

You should go AMD 955 / with a 5850 for gaming. Much much better price/performance.

If you go intel you will have to go with a 5770 which isn't nearly as good at gaming.
Related resources
March 14, 2010 7:15:43 PM

After checking reviews and doing a little research, they both seem to be similar and neither is whole bunch better than the other. But the i5 seems to have a small edge (and a few extra dollars more), and may OC better if I decide to do so.

I have my mind set on the CPU. Need more input for a GPU, PSU, and possibly a mobo (like I mentioned before, the P7P55 seems good but im open to suggestions)
March 14, 2010 7:17:44 PM

If your building this for gaming it's a ton better to go AMD 955 with a 5850. You won't be able to fit in a 5850 in the budget with an I-5.

Plus, if you go AMD you are future proofing yourself. The AM3 socket will support the hexacores.
!