I think my soundcard is causing my Pc to freeze when playing a game

Hey guys,

I think I may have a sound card problem. anytime I try to play a game, any game. my Pc freezes or bsod's and repeats the last part of a word or sound effect in my game, but the weird thing is it only happens once and then I can game on for hours on end.

I find it particularly Odd that it would only happen once and then everything work like it supposed to after I restart my computer.
It is also very frustrating to me that I have to restart it once for games to work, and this happens with all the games I have tried, Battlefield BC2,portal GTA4 and killing floor

my specs.

Processor: AMD phenom II X4 940 ~3.0 GHz
Memory: 8190MB RAM
Graphics: 2 nvidia GTX 275s
Sound: C Media PCI 3d Audio device

I have also never had this problem with my old Hard drive. the only thing different it that It had different audio drivers.

thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about soundcard causing freeze playing game
  1. Remove your sound card and see if the problem persists. If it does, then I'd try updating the sound card drivers.
  2. I removed my sound card and the problem has went away and my PC didn't freeze or Bsod. so the problem seems to be coming from my sound card.

and I checked my drivers for my sound card and it says that they are up to date.
  3. Then RMA your card. Or if unable to do so, get a new one.
  4. Too many devices running on the same IRQ number.

Bork !
  5. If you removed the card and the problem was gone, then either the card is faulty (RMA like ksampanna offered) BUT...
    before this, I would try different drivers and see if that helps.
    usually drivers cause PCs to crash / freeze or just act in a wierd way :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Games Components