Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HD5970 scores 6.0 on Windows 7 assessment

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 1, 2010 3:47:43 PM

So windows 7 assessment is telling me I have a crappy graphics card compared to all of my other components. Everything else scored a 7.3 or higher but the graphics portiion scored 6.0 in both categories. Is there something I'm not optimizing in order to achieve my cards full potential? Or is the computer noticing some defect with my card? The reason I ask is when I first ran thee assessment the day I put my pc together the gpu scored a 7.6. So I'm a little freaked about the lowered score. Any ideas?
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 1, 2010 3:49:48 PM

Windows experience index means jack

Play some games and run some proper benchmarks before thinking/assuming there's something wrong.
March 1, 2010 3:53:26 PM

Nice that's what I was hoping to hear. Benchmarks are strong, gameplay is outstanding. Although there is a little backlight flicker when playing at my native resolution in games. Any other resolution you don't see any flickering. That was my hunch on why it was scoring lower but I don't know if that's something legite or not.
Related resources
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 1, 2010 4:18:45 PM

Yeah nothing to worry about at all. As long as your happy with the game performance. Enjoy your 5970 : )

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
March 1, 2010 7:36:27 PM

OP - As pointed out, the Windows Experience Index is really only usable as a general guideline, and shouldn't be considered an actual benchmark. Having said that, there may be something you can do:

Open a command prompt (start orb, type cmd in the search box, and press enter)

when the window pops up, type: dxdiag

Run that. You can repeat for 64 bit, if you like...

That should report back if there are any issues. From there, go back to the Windows assessment and choose the option to discard the old results and run new.

Often running the dxdiag updates what Windows understands about your system. Since part of your score is based in Direct 3D versioning sometimes this will also change your score.
March 1, 2010 7:51:52 PM

...and my 5850 (overclocked to 850/1200) scores 7.7. It did post a 6.0 prior to raising its clocks. But as others said, IGNORE this number, doesnt mean a thing....
a b U Graphics card
March 1, 2010 7:53:45 PM

My o/c 4770 also gets 7.4. I know what 'tricks' WEI with ATI cards in to giving the 6.0. Had this happen myself with new drivers.
Have only one monitor hooked up physically to the back of the gpu.
Also remove any adapters hanging on the hardware ports. I had a dvi-hdmi dongle, and that caused a 6.0 as well.
" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
my ssd went up from 7.2 to 7.5. I formatted and changed disk type to ahci from ide. FYI :) 
a b U Graphics card
March 1, 2010 8:01:33 PM

windows doesn reconigse it yet
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 1, 2010 8:27:43 PM

The issues is in the power management software. When in 2D mode, it downclocks the 5970, and windows little test program does not actually open up 3D graphics, and just simulates it, so the clocks remain at much lower than normal and scores poorly.
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 1, 2010 10:07:04 PM

I thought that, no matter what, until the GPU is stressed the clocks remain low. Windows not stressing GPU enough?

I don't know. Games matter; windows doesn't.
March 2, 2010 6:30:24 AM

Dont pay attention to the windows index. When I first installed windows 7 with my 5870 it scored 7.8 or 7.9, after I installed the drivers it went to 5.9!!!

Then I installed the 10.2 drivers and its shot back up again!!!!
April 4, 2010 9:08:56 PM

Sup

I am having this exact same problem, i almost shat myself when i saw my ratings dropped by so much. Lemme know if you found a solution, i know now it's not fatal that the rating is down but ofc it's a nice have the awesome rating :D 
a b U Graphics card
April 5, 2010 4:11:51 AM

A 5970 will idle at considerably lower speeds when in desktop. Overclock your card and force the correct clocks for idle and run the bench again.
April 5, 2010 7:01:07 AM

my 9800GT get 6.9
April 5, 2010 6:32:18 PM

rofl_my_waffle said:
A 5970 will idle at considerably lower speeds when in desktop. Overclock your card and force the correct clocks for idle and run the bench again.

Cool, thanks i'll try doing that as soon as i get home :) 
April 6, 2010 5:27:45 AM

Twin 5750's get 7.3
a c 169 U Graphics card
April 6, 2010 7:00:19 AM

way2game89 said:
So windows 7 assessment is telling me I have a crappy graphics card compared to all of my other components. Everything else scored a 7.3 or higher but the graphics portiion scored 6.0 in both categories. Is there something I'm not optimizing in order to achieve my cards full potential? Or is the computer noticing some defect with my card? The reason I ask is when I first ran thee assessment the day I put my pc together the gpu scored a 7.6. So I'm a little freaked about the lowered score. Any ideas?

Test some games and check your FPS,if it was normal then its performing fine.
When i had a 4870X2,each driver gave me a different score lol,for example Catalyst 9.8 gave me 6 whereas others gave me different scores.
So as i said test some games to be sure
a b U Graphics card
April 6, 2010 2:01:26 PM

My 5870 gets 7.8.
December 29, 2011 1:34:01 PM

Best answer selected by way2game89.
!