Sign in with
Your question

Dell XPS 410 Upgrades

Last response: in Components
May 23, 2010 6:38:58 AM

Hello, my Dell XPS 410, running Win7 Ultimate, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2Gb of RAM, 500MB C drive with 69Gb left, 500 Gb D drive with 365 GB space left. Plus an external tera with approx 190 Gb space left. No my question, had been having screen flicker issues, mainly when using Photshop CS4 and Illustrator CS4. For instance would click on fille, screen would flicker like it was possessed then return to pre-pressing File screen. I recently made the investment of purchasing the Adobe CS5 Web Premium Design Suite. Aslo, I frequently use Adobe Audition 3, whcih until today always ran fine. mNow today, opening a file in Audition required numerous closing and re-starting the program. Or, the selected file would open, then screen would lock up and I would end process, or have to actually do a hard restart. I regularly clean my C Drive, run Microsoft
Security Essentials which hasnt indicated any major virus has gotten past, i I also run Uniblue Speed Up myPC and Registry Booster. Would upgrading my processor help improve my program performance? Is it too much I am trying to do with a not - strong-enough computer as a a whole, not running all programs at once, just having them all on there. Any thoughts how I can get my computer back to at minimuma usable state? (short of deleting my programs...Upgrades you might suggest for internal?

More about : dell xps 410 upgrades

May 23, 2010 7:17:17 AM

You can try doing a clean install of Win 7 Ultimate after backing up your data. Currently, you have just 2 partitions for 1 TB HDD, which are very less, so while formatting, create the C drive partition of only say 50-60 GB, & then divide the remaining data after creating more partitions as per your wish.

Getting a new processor would def help, though I doubt you could go beyond the C2Ds. Check your manual to see which processors are supported by the motherboard, or contact dell for the same.
m
l
May 23, 2010 9:05:52 AM

I believe your main problem is the 2GB of RAM. Windows 7 seems to like 4GB and all those editing programs you are using are memory hogs. I do not believe 8GB would be too much.

As stated above also free up as much space on your C: drive as you can and give it a good defragmenting. Auslogic has a neat little free defrag program that I have been happy with so far.

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/
m
l
Related resources
May 23, 2010 4:46:10 PM

Agree with anort3 upgrade to 4 gigs ram and windows 7 64-bits
m
l
May 23, 2010 7:42:28 PM

After rereading my post I should have been more specific. If you have Windows 7 32 bit then go with 4GB of memory. It can only use a little over 3GB but it will not hurt. If you have 64bit Windows 7 then start with an upgrade to 4GB and see if that does not help. If so you can always go for 8GB.

Either way 2GB is too little especially with the programs you are using.
m
l
May 23, 2010 8:25:15 PM

anort3 said:
I believe your main problem is the 2GB of RAM. Windows 7 seems to like 4GB and all those editing programs you are using are memory hogs. I do not believe 8GB would be too much.

As stated above also free up as much space on your C: drive as you can and give it a good defragmenting. Auslogic has a neat little free defrag program that I have been happy with so far.

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/

if i upgrade to 4 or 8gb of memory, would an upgraded processor, or faster processor be necessary even them? or should i try try the mem up then if still performance lag, then try for a processor faster than 1.86?
m
l
May 23, 2010 8:26:54 PM

actually didnt read far enough down the thread. i will go with ampin up my ram and hopefully that helps. thank you all for your input. i appreciate it.
m
l
May 24, 2010 1:05:45 AM

your processor's clock speed is 1.86 GHZ? Have you tried overclocking it? Maybe the clock speed is too slow
m
l
May 24, 2010 5:23:17 AM

A faster processor never hurts and the E6300 in your computer is getting a bit dated. To be honest if you want Photoshop to run to its full potential you may want to do a full upgrade to a good quad core system.

Just about any quad would be better than what you have now either AMD or Intel but you probably want an i7 for max performance. That would mean a FULL upgrade though and it would be expensive. You would need a motherboard, CPU , Memory, GPU, case and power supply.....in fact for a good overclockable i7 system you are looking at around ~ $1400.

Since you have a Dell you are not going to be able to overclock what you have since I am sure the BIOS are locked.

What I said before about memory still holds. If you want everything to run better adding memory WILL help your existing system. That would be the cheapest fix if you can not afford an upgrade. I know CS5 was not cheap.
m
l
May 24, 2010 6:20:09 AM

Lopok said:
your processor's clock speed is 1.86 GHZ? Have you tried overclocking it? Maybe the clock speed is too slow

I havent tried overclocking it. I have heard overclocking it does wonders, but have also heard it can do more harm than good if you arent sure what you doing. I am willing to give it a try given I find reliable instructions on steps to take to do it. But yeah I know, 1.86 right??? kills me...
m
l
May 24, 2010 6:25:44 AM

Dell BIOS are probably locked so you can not overclock. Dude you bought a Dell.
m
l
May 24, 2010 6:29:53 AM

anort3 said:
A faster processor never hurts and the E6300 in your computer is getting a bit dated. To be honest if you want Photoshop to run to its full potential you may want to do a full upgrade to a good quad core system.

Just about any quad would be better than what you have now either AMD or Intel but you probably want an i7 for max performance. That would mean a FULL upgrade though and it would be expensive. You would need a motherboard, CPU , Memory, GPU, case and power supply.....in fact for a good overclockable i7 system you are looking at around ~ $1400.

Since you have a Dell you are not going to be able to overclock what you have since I am sure the BIOS are locked.

What I said before about memory still holds. If you want everything to run better adding memory WILL help your existing system. That would be the cheapest fix if you can not afford an upgrade. I know CS5 was not cheap.

yeah I would love the i7 system, but you nailed it, the CS5 package was not cheap, but apparently not well planned out as far as best time to purchase it, as I obviously need to juice this thing up to get the performance i want. Is there a way to unlock the BIOS? I am going to check into that. but tons of good info here from you I truly appreciate your input and value the time you spent gettin me the info I was looking for. Right on thanks again.
m
l
May 24, 2010 6:36:26 AM

anort3 said:
Dell BIOS are probably locked so you can not overclock. Dude you bought a Dell.

good call, i know. but i dropped my MacBook Pro going thru security at the airport, before I took it out the case even, and it destroyed my screen, to the point where the screen, my heart, and my bank acount were broken, so it was like...damn, dude, I guess I gotta get a Dell lol,...
m
l
May 24, 2010 6:41:13 AM

Follow my earlier RAM advice..........you need at LEAST 4 GB. Do you have a 32 or 64 bit version of Windows?

No there is no way to overclock really with locked BIOS. That is why they are locked........Dell wants you to buy another computer not upgrade that one.

Truly though an i7 would be best we could put together a MUCH cheaper AMD based system for you that would be much faster than what you have for less than half what an i7 would run you.

What RAM do you have now? 2 x 1 GB sticks?
m
l
May 24, 2010 6:50:25 AM

anort3 said:
Follow my earlier RAM advice..........you need at LEAST 4 GB. Do you have a 32 or 64 bit version of Windows?

No there is no way to overclock really with locked BIOS. That is why they are locked........Dell wants you to buy another computer not upgrade that one.

Truly though an i7 would be best we could put together a MUCH cheaper AMD based system for you that would be much faster than what you have for less than half what an i7 would run you.

What RAM do you have now? 2 x 1 GB sticks?

Yeah I have 2 x 1GB sticks. 32 bit. And I do have access to spare, working computer parts so I am open to the AMD system you mentioned. And the parts couldnt be any cheaper, just a matter of if they are there or not, but worth a shot, as I do have some budget to work with if a part is needed that I dont have access to. Thanks a lot I appreciate your help
m
l
May 24, 2010 6:58:26 AM

No problem for the help thats why these forums exist ;) 

The 32 bit thing is also a problem for you. 64bit does a much better job of addressing memory even with equal amounts. With 32 bit you are limited to under 4 GB total no matter what hardware you use. If you bought Windows 7 full retail you can just reinstall as 64bit but if you bought OEM you are in trouble.

If you would like to see what we can do for a new system please post a budget and any parts you know you can reuse and we will see what we can do.
m
l
!