Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard Gold Standard?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 11, 2010 9:40:22 PM

Hi guys. I'm in a position to build a substantial system, and I was looking at the Asus Rampage III Extreme, a very nice card with good writeups.

However, gaming is only half the story. The machine will also be a workstation running Lightwave and Vue xStream, and will need to serve me for a few years (as my current one has, very well), so some amount of midlife upgradability would be nice to consider.

But the thing I'm most interested in is the possibility of a dual processor (or more) motherboard, to get a possible 8 cores from two i7s lets say, and maybe more than 24GB of DDR3 RAM. Is there such a beast?

(Also - and I know this is going to sound somewhat daft, but the Rampage only has one PS2 connector and my dual-monitor KVM uses PS2 keyboard & mouse, and I'd like to keep it that way :) )
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2010 4:13:49 PM

of course you can always reserve to EVGA's SR-2 board x) linky hurr~ might not be exactly in the aspect of what you're looking for - but i'm just saying xD

Great quality, reliability, and definitely upgradable xD. You can get 12 cores/24 threads on this baby x3~ :lol: 
November 13, 2010 8:00:55 PM

Hmm... server motherboards :)  thanks for the info guys. That EVGA looks nice but only one PS2 connector, and I already have good experiences with Asus so I might take a closer look at that one. Looks like the main problem with it is cooler fiddling.
Related resources
!