Water cooling or new motherboard next upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdeezie80

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
OK so I have the evga x79 ftw right now (full specs in signature) I'm doing a quite a bit of automated software testing at this point and need to run multiple vm's at a time, as well as games and a small amount of photo editing, so I need as much performance as possible. The problem is that on the x79 ftw I seem to lose specific features at higher clock speeds, like usb ports and at higher than 4.50 I lose my networking half the time, voltage and temps being a big limitation. I added a few fans and lowered my temps by roughly 10 degrees celcius, and have gained a decent amount of stability but about 10 decibels. So really I would like to hear some good opinions before I go out and make a decision. my budget is about $380 USD, and the mother board would be a Asus p8x79 ws. Thanks in advance.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
if your looking to just cool that processor and make it more stable i would suggest this, don't just disregard this it does work and well, you should get a better result than with a massive water unit.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_202_602&products_id=23095
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=46_173&products_id=32727
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=46_173&products_id=23853
and the hardware to mount it.

hdeezie80

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

have you tried one of these ou yet, I've given TEC some thought but have been worried about condensation ruining my board, this might be a good unfortunately there's not a whole lot of documentation on TEC out there.

hdeezie80

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

Yeah I've read that one before I would like to see one in a bit more compact solution don't want my apartment complex thinking I'm running a meth lab lol. He does have a lot of pictures though that are pretty helpful, I was thinking about using 2 small radiators and cheap pumps 1 to cool the hot side, and one to pump near freezing water in, then having the pull side blow cold air directly into my case, or over a radiator preferably in larger cases basement. But definitely not in the near future.

hdeezie80

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

I didn't really look at the latter post until just now, I probably would need a few months of research at least before I would implement it, but its a good place to start thanks for pointing that out

The more research you do, the easier/more straightforward things become,
you are right to hold of until you are ready because extreme cooling becomes an obsession very quickly hehe,
I'm maxxing the Crysis3 beta with temps of 33'c/38'c on the cards and 37'C on the Cpu, great fun hehe and when I put my new tec on there it will only get better and allow some serious O/c potential
Moto

Status
Not open for further replies.