X6 1055T as a gaming CPU , after 2 years ... will it be better ?

Gecko-tan

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
Hello,the title says it all , will it be better after some years when the majority of the games take advantage of the 6 cores ?

Some reviews indicate that when the software take advantage of the 6 cores it is something of a beast for the price , like encoding , so i asked about games after 2-3 years .

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
you would assume so, but in 2-3 years time you will buy a new CPU anyways and you might just aswell get a new better 6 core then, in case your planning on buying one now for later.

Get what is good for present day, a bit ahead, later upgrade if needed since this 6 core is sometimes worse for games that are not optimized to use many cores

xaira

Distinguished
the first quad was realeased in sumtin like 2006 i believe, and even in present day, games rarely use four cores, i guess the more xtreme games to come will take advantage of six cores, but the majority will stretch for the most compatibility, and since dual cores are still so popular now, im betting quads will still be more popular than hexas then

4745454b

Titan
Considering how badly the 1055 is beat by the 750, I'd take the 750. The 1090 compares a bit better, but its more expensive. Consider how long it will take (and if it ever does) for gaming to use many cores, you will want something a lot better then the "old" 1055 for gaming. Get what works now, the 955.

The only way I'd get the 1055 is if I already had an AM2+ or AM3 board. If your starting from scratch I'd get the i5 750. It is the better CPU.

jetbruceli

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
I have looked for reviews on the 1055t and I see some scores where it falls behind the i5 750 but there are alot where it beats even an i7 940.
I just ordered the 1055T and main reason is this, in all benchmarks for transcoding videos the 1055t destroys the i7 930.
Packed with a GTX 470 I will get all the power balancing I need for gaming, encoding and overall computing for the cost of one i7 980x
Hey check out this review.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/phenom-ii-x6-1055t-1090t-review/13

4745454b

Titan
Your link shows it beating the i3/lower i5 series chips. Its slower then all the i7 chips. Gets close to the 940 yes, but its still slower. The second chart shows its performance in handbrake, the best thing the x6 scales at. If you look at any other use, it falls short.

Again, if I had to look at those two CPUs only, then I'd take the 750. Unless I'm upgrading from AM2+/AM3. It will be a long time before we are using more then two/four cores.

G

I bought my new computer in early April, and I was going to get an i5 750, until I saw the AMD 6 cores, which were released days before I bought my new system.

I think the i5 750 might be the best bargain, middle of the road system for gaming or encoding video. I primarily encode videos and play a few old games, so I bought a 1090T with a 260 GTX.

I don't think you can make a bad choice, just buy what suits your needs the best, and make sure you get an appropriate GPU, if games are your first priority.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Yeah I love my i5 750 and all, but in optimized apps, I know it can't stand against a 1055T or 1090T at similar clocks speeds. If you overclock the X6s then there is no reason why they can't hang at the highend of gaming, because at that point they are basically X4s. Also, there will be games that will come out and love an X6, though they will mostly be poor console ports.

jetbruceli

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
yeah plus, back when the X6800 from Intel cost a 1000 I bought one and then 2 months later came the q6700. I was so mad.
The reason is, with all these true cores, I can select what does what. So if I really need to do multiple things 6 is better than 4 just as 4 is better than 2. The more the better! Isnt that what Nvidia is talking about with CUDA?

Slayer697

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

This is a true gem of advice, but how do we know that we're not at the point at which the paradigm is going to shift? Since the number of cores is only going to rise in the future, creating apps that are properly threaded has to be one of the biggest priorities for companies making processor intensive apps. More cores will eventually translate into more performance, but how can we say we're not about to approach that point now?

For me, it's interesting to note that BF:BC2 performs better on the 1055T over the i5-750 simply because it takes advantage of the extra cores. While it seems to be alone as far as gaming is concerned, it's certainly not the only mainstream app to show this behavior. How do we know that our i5-750 is still the "right" purchase for the next two years?

Edit: How about the next 3 years? 4 years? I think this kind of advice would help new system builders greatly.

jetbruceli

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
I think still its better to find something reasonably low price but performs well vs just getting something cuz its faster. I mean hell its not like these AMD chips are slow.
As far as cores, yes 4 cores are the Norm today and tomorrow when 6 or more is, atleast having a 6 core now gets me half way there.
Also, how come we dont see any benchmarks with like running multiple programs?
I have seen benchmarks where they are running an app and playing a game. Having more cores has to help with that cuz you can select which ones do what!

Gecko-tan

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
Unless your getting the faster 1095T, go with the i5/750.

Whats the difference between 1055T and 1090T ? the unlocked multiplier ? you can reach 4 ghz with the 1055T ( which i think is more than enough ) at low temps , or is there anyhing I dont know about ?

And thanks guys , Im just researching now which to get for my build , and I am definitely a multi-tasker like every one else , two extra cores will help :D .

Gecko-tan

Distinguished
May 23, 2010

Yeah , I saw that it was right there with the 980x :eek: , makes you think about its value for the price .

I am enjoying the discussion about the 1055t and its potential after the software catch up with it .