HELP: Yet Another Thief Gold vs. WinXP Post

So, on a whim, I decided to break out my CDs of Thief Gold the other night,
and install it on my new PC -- then the problems began.

I'm running XP Home Edition, and first I got the "Cannot Install" Error.
Using this newsgroup archives, I was able to install. Next, I try to run TG,
and the game locks up right after the Loading Mission screen (with the
dials). I get an error that reads, "Cannot support textures" or something
like that.

Using the Eidos forums, I find out that I need to download a patch for XP. I
so, and get a file called "TheifFixedG.exe" which I put in my ThiefG
directory, and overwrite the Thief.exe. Now, I double-click that, and the
game still goes black-lock after the loading screen, although no error
messages.

What am I doing wrong, and/or what else do I need to tweak to get my game to
play? I've checked usenet archives, but can't find the right stuff, nor can
I find it in the Eidos groups. Anyone got any ideas?

BTW: My Video Card: NVidia GeForce4 MX 420

I had read an obscure line in a post that implied I need to get a different
driver, but I cannot get more concrete information on what/where to find it.

Any help is appreciated.

T.

--
Remove the obvious from e-mail addy to reply.

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:10:14 GMT, "Tallon Larham"
<larham@nospamhere.att.net> wrote:

>So, on a whim, I decided to break out my CDs of Thief Gold the other night,
>and install it on my new PC -- then the problems began.
>
>I'm running XP Home Edition, and first I got the "Cannot Install" Error.
>Using this newsgroup archives, I was able to install. Next, I try to run TG,
>and the game locks up right after the Loading Mission screen (with the
>dials). I get an error that reads, "Cannot support textures" or something
>like that.
>
>Using the Eidos forums, I find out that I need to download a patch for XP. I
>so, and get a file called "TheifFixedG.exe" which I put in my ThiefG
>directory, and overwrite the Thief.exe. Now, I double-click that, and the
>game still goes black-lock after the loading screen, although no error
>messages.
>
>What am I doing wrong, and/or what else do I need to tweak to get my game to
>play? I've checked usenet archives, but can't find the right stuff, nor can
>I find it in the Eidos groups. Anyone got any ideas?
>
>BTW: My Video Card: NVidia GeForce4 MX 420
>
>I had read an obscure line in a post that implied I need to get a different
>driver, but I cannot get more concrete information on what/where to find it.
>
>Any help is appreciated.
>
>T.

When I run Thief Gold, all I do is edit the user.cfg file and remove the ;
(semicolon) from the beginning of the line that says
"safe_texture_manager".

Of course, there is also a fix for the CD paths so you don't need to the
keep the CD in the drive. Also, having a hyperthreading processor can
cause problems. Finally, some folks have problems with the Indeo video
drivers.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

"Tallon Larham" <larham@nospamhere.att.net> wrote in message
> So, on a whim, I decided to break out my CDs of Thief Gold the other
night,
> and install it on my new PC -- then the problems began.

You will probably find an answer to your problem, wether it's a Pentium4
issue, indeo codecs, Video driver or ini file editing (safe textures)
related problem here:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031

My guess it's one of those above mentioned issues :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts