Corrupted HDD

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Western Digital
  • Seagate
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
April 8, 2012 3:32:16 PM

I have 1X500 Gb western digital HDD and 1X1TB Seagate hdd.
One day suddenly there was a corrupt file message in 500 GB HDD. I tried the chkdsk utility but it failed. Ever since that day PC started getting these errors
- BSOD
-Freezes
-games became slow
etc
Are that in any way related to corrupt HDD. and if yes how can i fix the corrupted HDD?

More about : corrupted hdd

a b G Storage
April 8, 2012 3:46:20 PM

These errors might be related to your HDD. A failing HDD will usually cause the computer to hang for a few seconds, then either resume what it was doing or crash with a BSOD. Sometimes, when these hiccups happen, one can hear the disk slowly stopping, then starting to spin fast again, or make a clicking noise.

Observe the crashes you are having for this behavior. If your crashes are instantaneous in nature, its not very likely your HDD is failing. You might have some corrupted system files though.

So, what I would recommend is:

1. Observe the crashes, try to figure if the HDD is failing, if its just some corrupted system files, or something else altogether.

2. If the HDD is failing, you will need a new one, as there is no reliable fix. If the system is corrupted, but the disk is ok, you may just need to format & install your stuff.

Also, beware that random crashes may be a memory (RAM) issue. If you are sure the disk's hardware is working properly, do a memtest to check your RAM. In any case, a backup of all your important stuff is in order.
m
l
April 8, 2012 3:53:12 PM

copy/pasted

1. Click the Windows button and open the Computer folder.
2. Find and Select your hard drive, right click the hard drive icon.
3. Choose Properties from the drop down list.
4. In the Local Disk Properties dialog box, click the Tools tab.
5. Click the Check Now button.
6. For maximum cleanup click "Automatically fix..." and "Scan for ..."

I would try to backup important files, your drive could be on its last days.

Also check if your drive is still under warranty.
(this won't save your files but they would at least replace your drive)
m
l
Related resources
April 8, 2012 4:30:18 PM

@drwho already tried that but it gives error, something like unrepairable sector or file. And yes the HDD is still under warranty.

@Murissokah The hdd contains only personal data , its not the system drive. The 1TB HDD has the os on it so system failure is out of question.......
Should i try removing corrupted hdd and run on single HDD.
m
l
a b G Storage
April 8, 2012 4:39:23 PM

shaquib said:
@drwho already tried that but it gives error, something like unrepairable sector or file. And yes the HDD is still under warranty.

@Murissokah The hdd contains only personal data , its not the system drive. The 1TB HDD has the os on it so system failure is out of question.......
Should i try removing corrupted hdd and run on single HDD.

Definitely. If the disk is under warranty and shows signs of damages sectors, I would remove it and RMA.
m
l
April 8, 2012 4:43:53 PM

Murissokah said:
Definitely. If the disk is under warranty and shows signs of damages sectors, I would remove it and RMA.

Absolutely, take advantage of your warranty.

:D 
m
l
April 10, 2012 5:36:22 AM

I removed the corrupted HDD and the crashes and BSOD was fixed but my pc still runs slow and lags too much while plaing games(which worked fine earlier).
today i thought to take a look at temps.
GPU :69
CPU :85
is that stable?
I doubt it!!!
m
l
April 12, 2012 4:40:32 AM

Somebody please reply!!!
m
l