Sign in with
Your question

GPU Overheating Problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 1, 2010 6:37:12 PM

To get things started, the computer I am currently using is a Gateway FX530 (little old I know). Haven't had any problems with it and the only thing I have replaced in it since I bought it a long while ago is the video card. It currently has a GeForce 9600 GT in it and I bought that about 7 to 8 months ago.

The problem I am having is when I go to play any game such as WoW or Heroes of Newerth or AvP, my GPU temperature sky rockets to over 100 degrees Celsius. I've cleaned out my computer and updated all drivers for it as well. Had a friend come look at it and he suggested that it was overclocking. So he messed with it an actually got it working for a couple days until it decided to start overheating again. From what I've seen and can hear, all my fans in the computer are on and running. I'm not sure what the real problem is or could be so if anyone might have a suggestion on what to do, that would be great. I don't know if I should keep trying to fix this computer or just get or build a new one. Hope someone can give me any suggestions they might have.

Thanks
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 1, 2010 6:45:55 PM

Have you tryed upping the fan speed on the card using Rivatuner?
If not, then you can download Rivatuner (just type Rivatuner donwload in google, its free) install it, run it and go to the graphics card section and manualy set the fan speed to something like 60% and see how you get on, if its still running to hot then up the fan speed some more.
Also check to see if the graphics card fan is clean, chances are that its dusty, You might want to clean all your case fans too.
m
l
March 1, 2010 6:47:25 PM

Have you cleaned out the fins on the GPU heatsink? Not just the fan part.
Try running it with the side of the case off and see what it runs at.
m
l
March 1, 2010 7:16:31 PM

Hmm I will download that Rivatuner when I get a chance. Now I did go in and clean everything inside. It was amazingly dusty but I did clean out the heatsync and the fans. If changing the fan speed doesn't work, I will go back in and double check everything to make sure it's clean. Thanks for the suggestions.
m
l
!