Sign in with
Your question

Can factory overclocking cause instability?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 17, 2013 2:08:35 PM

Hello,

I've been having trouble lately with a recently purchased graphics card. My system specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD FX 8120 Eight-core Processor, 3.11 GHz
MB: AMD Sabertooth 990FX
PSU: Rocketfish, 900W
RAM: 8 GB
GPU: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti Power Edition/OC, 2GB GDDR5 VRAM

What happens is shortly after beginning a game like Far Cry 3 or Skyrim (ranging from 2-10 minutes), the system will enter a few possible crash scenarios:

1. The system hard freezes entirely, the audio and video both halt and the only way to get out is to perform a hard reset
2. The screen turns black and comes back a moment later without an error notification, but with discolored bars across the screen (pictured in the upper screenshot here: http://imgur.com/a/4VXgB) followed by either significantly reduced FPS, a crash to desktop, or a system freeze.

I've contacted both MSI and NVIDIA about this. NVIDIA says it's because the factory overclocking is too aggressive (base 1019 MHz compared to GeForce specifications of 915 MHz; boost is 1084~ MHz, GeForce specifications are 980 MHz). MSI says the card may not be compatible with the mobo/bios.

Could anyone give me some advice on either solving this issue or who is right about it, and if the overclocking is the issue, how I can address it?
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2013 2:13:10 PM

You may have gotten one of the cards that were shown to have a manufacturing work around that affected them, I would tell MSI I either want a brand new freshly manufactured one that is supposedly fixed or a complete refund. Here is the article: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-GTX-660-670-overvo...

My guess is this is what Nvidia was basically referring to, I think I read they were not pleased with MSI.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2013 2:21:34 PM

I think the best thing to do at the moment is to check your Bios version, and see if it is the latest -- if not then update it, then see if the issue is solved.

m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2013 3:48:33 PM

chugot9218 said:
You may have gotten one of the cards that were shown to have a manufacturing work around that affected them, I would tell MSI I either want a brand new freshly manufactured one that is supposedly fixed or a complete refund. Here is the article: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-GTX-660-670-overvo...

My guess is this is what Nvidia was basically referring to, I think I read they were not pleased with MSI.

I'm not sure that this could be the case, though, considering I just bought the card last week and that article is from October.

jemm said:
I think the best thing to do at the moment is to check your Bios version, and see if it is the latest -- if not then update it, then see if the issue is solved.

Just did that. It turned out my BIOS was out of date and I just updated it. Unfortunately, Far Cry 3 froze again on two separate attempts.

I'm thinking of just returning the card and maybe swapping it for a different manufacturer. I spent $310 on the card... Does anyone have any recommendations for a different card for a similar or lower price? And also, should I get an ATI card since my motherboard and processor are both AMD?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2013 4:32:29 PM

It is always good to have the last Bios version! :) 

Unfortunately it alone didn´t work for you -- I think Chugot9218 is right about the issue -- I had not seen that article about your card -- RMA it as soon as possible!

Try to find an Radeon HD 7970 for around $400 -- it is monster! www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-benchmark-t...

m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 17, 2013 5:21:37 PM

Just because you just bought it, does not mean it was just manufactured, hell a store could still have the first one off the line it's not like they have the means to sell them sequentially in order of creation.
m
l
!