Sign in with
Your question

P7P55D-E Pro: No POST, LEDs rotate

Last response: in Motherboards
November 12, 2010 7:41:22 AM

Hello all, this is my FIRST BUILD EVAR so maybe I just missed something really stupidly obvious.

Mobo: P755D-E Pro
CPU: i5-760
GPU: SLI 2 x EVGA GTX 460 768MB
PSU: Corsair TX650W
Memory: GSKILL Ripjaws 4GB (2x2)
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 212+
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

Okay so did my best to hook everything up but perhaps I fucked up somewhere

Here's what happens:
0. before I press the power button, the green LED at the bottom of the mobo stays lit.
1. I press the POWER button
2. Case fans start spinning just fine. I've got all 3 case fans hooked up to the PSU instead of the mobo.
3. CPU heat-sink-fan starts spinning just fine. GPU fans also spin just fine.
4. The mobo's red LEDs go in this order:
- CPU for 1 second
- Memory for 1 second
- CPU for 1 second
- Memory for 4 seconds ???
- PCIe for 1 second
- Boot device for 1 second
- All LEDs off
5. At this point, none of the mobo LEDs are on except the green one that indicates power. All the fans are still spinning at the exact same rate as they did before.
6. At no point during this entire process did anything show up on my monitor. No flickers, no POST, nothing.
7. I can leave the computer in this state indefinitely. It does not shut itself off, it does not reboot (at least, it doesn't seem like it is. there is no change in the fans or components), it does not light up any more LEDs. It just stays like it was at the end of the LED rotation.

NOTES:
1. My case has no built-in speakers so I can't hear the POST beeps. I know... that would be really helpful right?
2. I am connecting my computer to my monitor using a HDMI cable. Well, a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable, to be exact. It's the one that came with the GPU. The mini-HDMI end goes into the GPU and the HDMI end goes to the monitor.
3. The monitor is not defective; I can hook it up to my laptop and it works fine.
4. I tried booting up with only 1 GPU instead of SLI. Same problem.
5. I tried booting up with only 1 GPU and 1 stick of memory. Same problem.

Stuff I learned from forum searching:
1. If an LED stays lit indefinitely and does not cycle to other LEDs, the mobo is telling you that some specific component is fucked. I think that's how the LEDs work but nobody seems to know for certain.
2. People with successful POSTs have the same LED light-up sequence as I do, including the longer light-up for the memory LED.
3. Is it possible that it's POSTing fine but just not telling my monitor? Am I not allowed to use an HDMI cable on the bootup or something? Currently I have no DVI or other cable but I will pick one up tomorrow if someone thinks this is the problem.

If someone can please tell me what the heck the mysterious LED sequence means, or if I'm missing something stupid, or ANY help whatsoever, I'd truly appreciate it!

November 12, 2010 7:54:01 AM

UPDATE

Okay I found the damn case speaker. Didn't know it would look like this tiny piece of crap.

Connected case speaker and tried power on again. Got 1 short beep, then a 3-5 second pause, then 1 short beep. Same LED sequence with the same light up duration. No post or any signal on the monitor.

Connected a USB keyboard because the manual said 1 short beep might mean a keyboard isnt detected. Tried again and now I only get 1 short beep (no second beep). Same LED sequence, same no-post/no monitor signal.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2010 8:20:15 AM

LEDs are doing their jobs right. No problem with them.

Make sure you connected the monitor to the computer ( gfx card ) with a data cable and to the wall socket with a power cable and also make sure wall socket is live.

Attach one end of the monitor data cable to a different connector on the gfx card if you have more than one connector on the gfx card.

Change the cable to a different socket type, i.e. if you are using DVI-to-DVI cable, change it to VGA-to-VGA cable. You may have to use DVI-VGA adapters depending on your monitor and your gfx card. You may use HDMI-to-HDMI cable if your equipment bears one.
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 156 V Motherboard
November 12, 2010 12:33:14 PM

Work through our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
I mean work through, not just read over it. We spent a lot of time on this. It should find most of the problems.

If not, continue.

I have tested the following beeps patterns on Gigabyte, eVGA, and ECS motherboards. Other BIOS' may be different.

Breadboard - that will help isolate any kind of case problem you might have.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...

Breadboard with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, case speaker, and PSU. You do have a case speaker installed, right? If not, you really, really need one. If your case or motherboard didn't come with a system speaker, you can buy one here:
http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html

You can turn on the PC by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case power switch goes to. You should hear a series of long, single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence indicates a problem with (in most likely order) the PSU, motherboard, or CPU.

Motherboard LED's mean very little. When on, all they are telling you is that the computer os plugged into a live power socket and the PSU is switched.

Remember, at this time, you do not have a graphics card installed so the load on your PSU will be reduced.

If no beeps:
At this point, you can sort of check the PSU. Try to borrow a known good PSU of around 550 - 600 watts. That will power just about any system with a single GPU. If you cannot do that, use a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=yout...

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.

If the system beeps:
If it looks like the PSU is good, install a memory stick. Boot. Beep pattern should change to one long and several short beeps indicating a missing graphics card. Silence or long single beeps indicate a problem with the memory.

Insert the video card and connect any necessary PCIe power connectors. Boot. At this point, the system should POST successfully (a single short beep). Notice that you do not need keyboard, mouse, monitor, or drives to successfully POST.

Now start connecting the rest of the devices starting with the monitor, then keyboard and mouse, then the rest of the devices, testing after each step. It's possible that you can pass the POST with a defective video card. The POST routines can only check the video interface. It cannot check the internal parts of the video card.
m
l
November 13, 2010 12:05:02 AM

I appreciate the responses but I feel like you guys didn't read my entire msgs :) 

Anyways I solved it. Looks like the GTX 460 incorrectly tries to use the HDMI connection as a second monitor or something, so the rig actually was POSTing properly, but it never showed on my displays. I switched out the HDMI cable with a good old DVI and voila, perfection.

BIOS shows detection of all my hardware so I am GOOD TO GO.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
November 13, 2010 12:23:03 AM

Depends who's on when you post..."using a HDMI cable. Well, a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable, to be exact"

Glad to hear you're up and running! :) 
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
November 13, 2010 12:57:13 AM

"... I feel like you guys didn't read my entire msgs..."

That is what I told you already. Switch monitor cable type. You did not read my whole message, I guess.

By the way, I am not aware of mini-HDMI cable type, whatever that is. Sorry for that.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
November 13, 2010 1:18:28 AM

suat said:
Change the cable to a different socket type, i.e. if you are using DVI-to-DVI cable, change it to VGA-to-VGA cable. You may have to use DVI-VGA adapters depending on your monitor and your gfx card. You may use HDMI-to-HDMI cable if your equipment bears one.

Sure enough = BEST ANSWER!!! :sol: 
m
l
!