Moving info from one HD to another

Hi,
I have a system running with XPPro with a HD (80GB) divided in 4 partitions.
I need to pass the HD info into a new system (also XPPro) with a HD of 160GB
(which can also be divided into 4 partitions).
What would be the best way to do so? I've too much info/programs and I
don't want to loose them.
TIA
Ana
2 answers Last reply
More about moving info another

    "Ana" <mgtyui@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have a system running with XPPro with a HD (80GB) divided in 4
    > partitions.
    > I need to pass the HD info into a new system (also XPPro) with a HD of
    > 160GB (which can also be divided into 4 partitions).
    > What would be the best way to do so? I've too much info/programs and I
    > don't want to loose them.
    > TIA
    > Ana

    Programs can't be moved reliably from one computer to another, you'll have
    to reinstall them if you want them to work on the new computer.

    As far as the data, you can connect the two computers via a network, or
    whatever works for you -- USB crossover, etc. The Files and Settings
    Transfer Wizard may the best way to go, unless you just want to move a
    particular folder.

    Or you could temporarily install the old hard drive in the new computer, and
    copy whatever you want.

    If you've got a lot of irreplaceable data, this would be a good time to
    start thinking about making backups. People mutter about how many CDs it
    would take or how much time it would take to back things up, but what would
    you do if the drive crashed?

    If you want to move your Windows from one HDD to another, it is possible to
    use Norton Ghost to Backup your partition (with windows, your programs and
    all the data) and restore it on your new HDD. That's way your windows and all
    programs installed with it will work on your new HDD.

    Note that you have to restore it on the same drive letter as it was or the
    windows will not work.
    I mean if your windows was installed on drive C on your old HDD you HAVE TO
    restore the partition on the same drive letter C on the New HDD.
    If you're just moving data from one PC to another, it's the best solution.

    "Ana" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have a system running with XPPro with a HD (80GB) divided in 4 partitions.
    > I need to pass the HD info into a new system (also XPPro) with a HD of 160GB
    > (which can also be divided into 4 partitions).
    > What would be the best way to do so? I've too much info/programs and I
    > don't want to loose them.
    > TIA
    > Ana

Configuration Microsoft HD Windows XP