Sony Viao Nvidia problem

Jerzyk

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I have a Vaio AR41S which has failed graphics. Sony have admitted problems with previous variants of the AR series. The AR41S is a newer variant and, probably, is in the 'start failure' mode. Mine has a failed graphics display and I suspect the same Nvidia problem. Sony deny this. Is there any way of disproving their claim?
Regards,
George

Jerzyk

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010

Apologies for delay in replying.

Yes, it is the 8600M and, yes, I am sure that I'm getting the runaround from Sony and Nvidia. I can understand Nvidia wanting to cut their losses but why Sony is prepared to take a hit on its reputation as a result of another company's problems is beyond comprehension.

Jerzyk

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010

Apologies for delay in replying.

No, the beast is just out of warranty...naturally!
I expected a Rolls Royce product as it had a Rolls Royce price tag. I don't think that a 14 month lifecycle is acceptable, especially as I am convinced that Sony are walking away from what is, afterall, a Nvidia design fault. If the problem exists on other AR series of their laptops and other manufacturers laptops using the same chips, then it is logical to assume that the AR41S will also fail. The Nvidia chip has to undergo a number of heat cycles before the failure occurs, so it obvious that the AR41S will exhibit this failure mechanism later than previous models which have undergone more cycles!