Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Asus
  • Intel i5
  • Motherboards
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
January 17, 2013 4:23:12 PM

So I have i5 3550 ivy bridge and a asus p8z77-v lk motherboard. Can I over clock? If so how do I? Thanks.

More about : question

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 19, 2013 3:35:09 PM

well, you cant OC because ur cpu is not a 'K' version (eg, 3570K, 3770K). K processors are unlocked so you can just change the multiplier and voltage.

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 19, 2013 7:33:39 PM

You "could" overclock it using the BCLK setting to incrementally speed up the front side bus on the motherboard. However this stresses not only the processor but the RAM, Northbridge, and even the PCI Express channels and causes a LOT of stress on the motherboard. If you have a non-K processor like that, I doubt anyone would advise you to overclock as it isn't healthy for this generations chipsets at all.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 19, 2013 7:47:57 PM

In other words - don't do it. It's not worth it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2013 12:08:02 AM

steddora said:
You "could" overclock it using the BCLK setting to incrementally speed up the front side bus on the motherboard. However this stresses not only the processor but the RAM, Northbridge, and even the PCI Express channels and causes a LOT of stress on the motherboard. If you have a non-K processor like that, I doubt anyone would advise you to overclock as it isn't healthy for this generations chipsets at all.

Simple answer - dont overclock...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2013 12:13:54 AM

And if you do use the BCLK method you can do a maximus of a 200mhz increase but even that will put load on ur whole system
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 20, 2013 9:43:54 AM

it depends on your RAM.
if you have 1333 then you won't be getting much more than 3% increase out of your Bclk. 1600 or better yet 1866 might get you up to ~7%. you may get more but i am discussing results i have seen posted by reputable sites along with my personal experience.

as stated before, the Blck (base clock) is also the speed of you RAM and the pci bus of your graphics card (but there is no north bridge). dealing with the RAM isn't too difficult but going for a high than ~7% is really getting a bit chancy with a possibly very expensive graphics card.

be fully aware of what you're doing and why you are doing it before doing anything. -google is your friend.
m
l
!