A couple concerns before I puchase my gpu

Getnitdunn

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I'm in the market for a gpu and I have my eye on the HD 5850 toxic edition by sapphire. My only concern with that card is that I have seen and read that the fan is in the middle of the board. And in cards like these, where the cooler fan is in the middle, it pushes air out the back of your pc and inside your pc. I have the antec 1200 case which brings in cool air in the front. So I'm thinking that the cool air from the front of my case will push the warm air from the gpu back in to the gpu itslf. So therefore, temperatures will be higher or not AS effective.

With that in mind, does it actuall make the gpu cooler if the fan is in the middle or in the back?

Another thing on my mind is if I should wait until nvidia makes their drop on their gpu. Hopefully the prices will go down on the HD 5850 (any edition).

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
First, you can always change the direction of the fans in your case. All that really matters is that air is moving somewhere--and an Antec 1200 is pretty well ventilated.

A 58xx series is pretty cool new technology-- it shouldnt get too hot unless you are overclocking more than one of them or something.

We wont know if Fermi will push down ATI prices until it drops on the 26th.... Fermi could be really awesome.. or it could suck and still cost a lot more.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
You got it confused.

The card the HD 5850 Toxic uses a blower style fan system. The air is sucked in through the fan (middle of the card) and the blown OUT of the case. I already checked out some pictures and there doesnt appear to be any issues with design so most of the air should be vented out of the case through the ventilation on the expansion slot.

It appears to use a cooling system as the Vapor-X which has been proven to be very effective for overclocking..
You have no worries mate.

Getnitdunn

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3746 says it's not a blower type fan. You are correct that it does suck in air through the middle, but it pushes warm air through the back of the case and also warm air in the case.

I thought about switching the fan in front of the case also in front of the gpu the intakes cool air. But then I'd be losing cool air in the entire case. Three fans intake cool air in the front. One big fan at the top and two in the back which exhaust.

Antec 1200 does come equiped with a slot to insert another fan on the side ofthe case. I make this fan intake cool air for the gpu to suck in cool air dirctly from that fan. And then have the front fan of my case exhaust that warm air being pushed from the gpu inside of my case.

Thanksfor the replies!

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
I see. Yeah now I can definitely see what they are talking about but I doubt it will impact performance much.
Appears the Toxic cooler does average against the stock reference cooler.

The Toxic comes OCed, which still cools 3 degrees cooler then the stock HD 5850 with the reference cooler under load. Not exactly exhilarating but not bad either.

All up to you really. I would personally find a cheaper HD 5850 and overclock it my self as they have been shown to overclock really well.

kokin

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Well I've got an Antec 902 (smaller version of your 1200) and a 4890 Toxic, which does suck air in and blows it out both towards the back and towards the front of the case. I use a negative pressure setup (2 front fans set on low, rear exhaust set on low/med, and top exhaust set on med/high).

@auto fan speed (38%), my 4890 idles at 42-43°C and maxes out around 63°C
@60%(barely audible), it idles at 40°C and maxes out at 57°C
@100%(blow dryer in another room), it idles 36°C and maxes out at 52°C

I have changed the thermal compound with Arctic Silver 5, but I've seen maybe a 1°C difference, if anything at all.

As you can see, even if it blows air back into the case, the Vapor-X cooling does an outstanding job vs reference cooling solutions.

This was my first build as well and I had zero knowledge about building a computer and overclocking. Just read read read! The more knowledge and understanding you get from forums/sites, the easier it is to test your overclocking limits.