Need opinions on building NAS type PC

daman05

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Hey guys,

I was wondering whether I could get your opinions on a PC that I'm looking to build. It's going to be on 24/7 and will be for:

1. Motion-activated home surveillance coming in through 2 PCI cards
2. 24/7 upload/download
3. Store all my houses backups, photos, and movies and TV shows (Have 3TB already, I want it to be expandable to 10TB+)

As I really want to minimize costs, this is what I've thought up:

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H - it has onboard video so no need for a video card. and 2xSATA 6gbps and 6xSATA 3gbps
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz - I know it's AMD but I refuse to go Intel for the price and more importantly their dirty business dealings (plants on stolen Palestinian land)
RAM: 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM
CASE: Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX case - 9 internal drive bays and where I'm getting my parts, they get good deals on Antec
PSU: Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W PSU

I don't plan on using any RAID level as I've read a lot that it's not the best for home use. I plan to connect the drives straight and if they fail, they fail. I don't mind losing some TV and Movies. I can always download again. It's not worth the $100+ that I would need to spend on that parity drive.

I also plan to stick with Windows XP as it's tried and true. I use it currently on my individual 24/7 surveillance and download PCs. This PC is to consolidate both of those into one. Also because I don't know whether my surveillance software will work on any other OS.

For backup of the important stuff like family photos, I plan on a periodic USB backup.

Questions:
Is the 380W PSU enough for 8 HDDs down the road?
What's your thoughts on not using RAID?
What's your thoughts on using XP? I defs can't go Linux. I don't know enough.
What are your thoughts on the parts I want to use?

Thanks in advance! :bounce:

lindley010

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Welll

Q1 - go for a 500watt- 600 watt. Its more futureproof.

Q2 - ill let someone else answer, im not a fan of raids, with my personal experience, its more fúcking about than its worth.

Q3 - I'd go windows 7 my self, i personal hate vista, but im a fan of win 7.

Q4 maybe get 4gb ram? btw most people recommend amd for price/performance. Btw onboard video sucks. but for what your gonna use it for, i dunno. btw if ur using onboard video, thats gonna come out of ur ram, which means you should definitly get 4gb.

daman05

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009

thanks for your answer!

But seeing as each drive takes a maximum of up to 12W, I don't see needing more power in the future. I'll look into it though.

I will also look into the RAM, this PC won't even have a monitor but I guess at the price it may be better to go 4GB

daman05

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009

This should be enough, no?

Advanced cooling system:
- 1 top 200mm Big Boy 200™ blue LED fan
- 2 rear 120mm TriCool™ blue LED fan
- 3 front 120mm blue LED fan
- 1 (optional) side 120mm fan to cool graphics cards
- 1 (optional) middle 120mm fan to cool CPU or graphics cards

1200_front_q_lights.jpg

daman05

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009

Not at all, it's gonna be in the storage room probably without a monitor. But stuff's come up and this plan is now indefinitely on hold :(