Sign in with
Your question
Solved

120GB Boot Drive questions

Last response: in Storage
April 8, 2012 10:49:32 PM

Below is a basic layout of my storage usage on my 2TB Hitachi Deskstar.
279GB = All program files

92 = Program files minus Steam

500GB = Other files (videos, pictures, etc)

Unfortunately, my current hard drive runs at only 5900 rpm, terrible for a boot drive. So, I've decided to bite the bullet and get one of those fancy SSDs everyone's been all the fuss about. :p  However, the most I can afford is a 120GB OCZ Agility 3 for $120. I'm probably going to put all my programs other than Steam on the SSD and just wait a little longer for level load times. I'll also leave all my other files on the mechanical hard drive. Is this a good idea? And is it possible for me to put only certain steam games on the SSD as well? TF2 level loading times are pretty annoying. :fou: 
a b G Storage
April 8, 2012 11:06:36 PM

You can use an SSD as a boot (system) hard drive and keep all of your other data on the HDD - 120GB is more than enough to store windows (and updates) and provide a loading buffer for your programs from the HDD which will make your games load faster but will not be permanently stored on the SSD - kinda cool.
m
l

Best solution

a c 261 G Storage
April 9, 2012 12:09:27 AM

SSD is a good idea! Here is all kinds of useful info http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270102-32-useful-arti...
Just make sure that you have achi enabled before installing the OS on it and never fill it up past 15% free space since it will slow it down.
Related resources
April 9, 2012 2:08:32 AM

I'd recommend using the SSD for your operating system, programs, and currently played games. Keep all your music, and pics on the mechanical HD.

You can use a program called "steam mover" to move games from and to your SSD.
m
l
April 19, 2012 9:10:11 PM

Best answer selected by TheMissingpiece.
m
l
!