P55 UD3 Can't post and constant restart

dusoo

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Hi everyone,

could you please help me as I'm really confused with this problem.

Yesterday I put together new components
P55-UD3 (rev2)
I7 860 CPU
pair of 2GB 1333MHZ Kingston memory
quadro FX 580 GPU
FORTRON 550W

When I push the power switch the board powers up for only around 0.5 secs (CPU fan spinning, LEDs on) and then it switches itself off.
5 to 6 seconds later the board restarts itself but again only for 0.5 seconds. The cycles repeat. There are no beeps or POST.

I've tried resetting CMOS, but no help.

Thanks a lot for any tips

dusoo

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Hi,

PSU - brand new : FORTRON BLACK POWER 550 OEM A.PFC

The problem was in power connector 4PIN 12V. I just did not connect it to the PSU, because motherboard manual says that it should be connected only for extreme CPU, which I believe is not my case.

And the cable (4+4pins on both sides) that comes with the motherboard does not fit properly to the PSU !!!
I have no idea where is there problem. Either bad cable or bad PSU ?! I just can't find any pictures of proper cable or PSU.
Anyway, I have tried to use bit of my power to connect this cable into the PSU (1 PIN does not match) and computer started without reboot and I was able to get to BIOS, but - new problem occured...

I did not change anything in BIOS, left everything on default,
put Windows 7 64bit installation disk and started the installation. But after few seconds, computer rebooted.
I have tried the same steps - and again I got rebooted.

Do you have any idea what is the problem now ?
Is it still problem of the cable that kind of did not fit, or is it problem of BIOS having default values ?

Thanks a lot.
J.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

The cable came with the PSU. Right? Are you saying that the PSU cable does not fit in the motherboard? If the motherboard has a 4 pin power connector, and the PSU has an 8-pin cable that cable should separate into 2 4-pin connectors and one of those should fit the motherboard.

Windows installation is itself a good load/stress test on any system. It can uncover stability problems that might not immediately show up if Windows was already installed. (For example, if you were just doing component upgades.)

You should re-examine your build. Make sure everything is fully seated. If you're having trouble with the PSU cables that could very well be the problem. But don't force cables into plugs where they don't belong, that will lead to other, un-recoverable problems. Unplug cables or remove and re-insert components and give it another try.

You MUST connect the both 8-pin {GA-P55-UD3R} or 4-pin {GA-P55-UD3L} and 24-pin, and as point out above most all PSUs have a 8-4 pin that splits.
eps-atx12v_8-4_pin.jpg