Sign in with
Your question

Mobo that supports Phenom II X2 560?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 12, 2010 1:44:35 PM

Has anyone had success finding a motherboard that can support a Phenom II X2 560 without needing to update the BIOS?

It seems that every board I find, lists a new BIOS update under the CPU support for this specific processor.

Ideally I would like to find one that supports it right out of the box, as I do not have an old AM3 CPU I can use to update the BIOS on a new board.

What would also be ideal is finding one that does not require me to pawn a kidney in order to pay for it. (Preferably below $160)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
a c 295 V Motherboard
November 12, 2010 3:09:09 PM

Hi BenderRL and welcome to Tom's forum.

I think that you will not find anyone, since all the CPU's relased after the 1090T needs a BIOS update to work in the 7xx and 8xx series.
m
l
November 12, 2010 4:38:21 PM

I was afraid that might be the case. I have heard the same on other tech forums as well. I was hoping someone here might know of an instance where it was not required, but I guess I will just have to RMA my board and have MSI flash the BIOS for me.

This situation has definitely taught me the wisdom of waiting a bit longer to buy new tech.
m
l
Related resources
a c 295 V Motherboard
November 12, 2010 4:43:50 PM

You can go to a local store, maybe they can help you with another CPU to update the BIOS.
m
l
November 12, 2010 4:53:32 PM

Yeah, I thought of that but after some research I came to the conclusion that they charge a bit to much for my taste. MSI will do it for free, I just have to pay shipping (which I get a steep discount on through work) and they will also test to make sure the board is good as well.

Thanks for the advice though.
m
l
a c 295 V Motherboard
November 12, 2010 4:56:47 PM

You are right, MSI is free and tested.

Let me know if you need more help ;) 
m
l
!