Sign in with
Your question

Really Frustrated!!! %$#@!

Last response: in CPUs
May 23, 2010 7:57:56 PM

Okay, so I got this stock heatsink with my AMD Phenom II X4 965, and the two metal latches on either side won't both attach to my motherboard. When one latch attaches to one, the other is just out of reach.

It's really annoying... I bought it from Newegg btw...

My questions are the following?

(1) I've put a fair amount of pressure on the CPU by trying to get the other latch on, do you think I've broken the CPU or harmed it?

(2) I've put a fair amount of pressure on the MOBO by trying to get the other latch on, also I've hit it a few times with a flat head screw driver, do you think the MOBO is damaged, cracked, scratched, and will malfunction?

(3) The Heat-transfer liquid stuff has been smushed and what not because I've taken the fan on and off the CPU and applied a fair amount of pressure, is it urgent that I replace it with a different heat transfer paste right away, or am I okay for a while?

(4) What the f*** should I do about the heatsink/fan thing. Just an observation: the horizontal metal piece that runs through the heatsink, with vertical latches on each side, seems to be bent slight upward - it doesn't look completely strait, perhaps that's why?

What should my courses of action be? Appreciate the help folks.

More about : frustrated

a c 162 à CPUs
May 23, 2010 8:01:18 PM

Remove the motherboard from the case, place it on a large piece of cardboard on a solid surface, then try mounting the heatsink again.

I had a similar issue and was also concerned about damaging the board, but by putting it on a solid surface you keep the board from bending and minimize damage to it that way. Put the side with the latch on first and then just be persistent and the other side will pop on.
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2010 8:10:39 PM

Your gonna need to reapply some thermal paste.

Most likely you have the lever in the locked position if it dont fit. Flip it the other way and try.

ALWAYS PUT THE BACK ON FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Related resources
May 23, 2010 8:12:48 PM

@hunter... So you're saying this may be happening because the MOBO is already in my case?

That may be so, but there is a considerable amount of space from the latch to the attachment places. Also, that vertical thing seems bent?

Please take a look at the diagram I just added to my first post.

@daship

According to my diagram, can you tell me if I have the heatsink the right way? I think I did it right?
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2010 8:17:02 PM

^^^ Read my edits ^^^^

The vertical thing is supposed to be bent like a V.

Attach the back first with the lever in the open position, then the front should attach pretty easy. Then lock the lever.

If you dont apply new paste you will probably have heat issues.
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2010 8:18:22 PM

If you live in US I can call you and talk you through it.
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2010 8:19:32 PM

Its definitely on right. Just attach the back first.
May 23, 2010 8:19:41 PM

Hello, I JUST built my computer not two weeks ago, and had the exact same problem. Worried about damaging my processor, I hunted through the internet for how to put on the cooler, scared that I would break or crack my processor. It actually takes a considerable amount of force. In fact, on the AMD support page, they have a video showing how to do it, and they use a screwdriver to push the tab down. Don't be scared, it takes quite a bit of force! Mine has been running with no problems and passed torture/stress tests with no issues, and I used the screwdriver to force the tab down.

Best of luck!
May 23, 2010 8:19:46 PM

@daship, I've tried that. Doing the back first, and there is still a considerable amount of space between the front latch and the place it attaches to. I even tried forcing it in with a flat head screw driver. Should it be that easy, because I found it quite difficult.

Do you also suggest I take my mobo out of my case? Or since it was this hard, is the heatsink faulty?
a c 162 à CPUs
May 23, 2010 8:20:25 PM

Im not saying that it being in the case is the problem, im saying it being in the case means that the board flexes when you apply force and restricts the amount of force you can apply without damage, outside the case you dont risk damaging the board and can apply significantly more force.
May 23, 2010 8:20:55 PM

Oh, and you do not need to buy/add additional thermal paste. You only need to do that if you turned on your computer or if it's been sitting there in open air for a long period of time.
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2010 8:23:00 PM

I just went and did one I bought new right now. Back first, lever flipped in the position that it pointed to the back of the PC. It slipped right on, no effort.

On the lever, you can see a hinge, the hinge needs to be down to get it on. If the hinge is up, your not gonna get it on.
May 23, 2010 8:23:21 PM

Okay thanks for your help!

I'm going to take the mobo out and re-approach this.

@zhengche - Does 1 day out in the open quantify a long period of time?
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2010 8:23:57 PM

zhengche said:
Oh, and you do not need to buy/add additional thermal paste. You only need to do that if you turned on your computer or if it's been sitting there in open air for a long period of time.

Lies, when you stick it on and move it you need new, moving it makes it uneven and causes air pockets.
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2010 8:24:34 PM

It dont need to be out of the case, it is simple if you follow my directions.
May 23, 2010 9:01:25 PM

Update!

I took the MOBO out of the case, attached the back latch on first, put the front latch in the open position and, even forcing it down, I would have still need another half a centimeter or so to get it on (AND THAT'S IN THE OPEN POSITION!)

If I tried to lock this, I can't even imagen how much force would be on it.

THIS HEATSINK'S LATCH IS FAULTY!

Plus, I should probably put off doing anything 'till I get new thermal paste, as you guys have told me I'll have problems with air bubbles and what not.

I'm just going to finish the rest of this build, and put this off until tomorrow when I call AMD's customer support. It's rediculous I can't reach them on weekend.

WHAT A NIGHTMARE!
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2010 9:53:56 PM

I was going to say there MUST be something wrong with it. The latch mechanism on AMD heatsinks should be a no-brainer, a lot easier to snap on than Intel's.
May 23, 2010 10:52:14 PM

You can show us some pictures, that could help.
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2010 11:24:43 PM

Theres a step by step way to do this.
!