Best single slot graphics card for my Dell E520

Status
Not open for further replies.

au071

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Hi:

I am trying to upgrade the old Radeon 1550 graphics card in my Dell E520 desktop. I recently upgraded its power supply to a new 650W one. But due to the size/setup, I can only get a single slot graphics card. Any recommendation on what's the best one to get?

Thanks.

Solution
Then get a 5670. Or a single slot 4850 (if there are any left).

I think it will be enough for a little while (2 years, maybe with some lowered details in some cases).

Anyway, does anyone know if there is a single slot 5750 around?

Cheers!
According to a lot of pictures from that Dell PC model, you can fit a dual slot HSF card with no problems at all.

If you're not very demanding, you can even get a 5750 and satisfy all your gaming needs on a 17" mon (1440x900-ish).

Cheers!

PS: Is this a picture of your Dell?
e520_specs_shots_525x265.jpg

au071

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
The internal looks similar. But the problem was the PCI-E slot is top one and the USB ports besides it make it impossible to use a double slot card. I actually bought a 5770 and just can't get it to fit.

To be honest, my gaming needs are not real high; most of the time I just play WOW; occasionally, I will play some FPS. 17'' monitor only.

Thanks.

Then get a 5670. Or a single slot 4850 (if there are any left).

I think it will be enough for a little while (2 years, maybe with some lowered details in some cases).

Anyway, does anyone know if there is a single slot 5750 around?

Cheers!

Solution
G

AU071,

What did you get I am in the same situation. Got a HD 5770 today and try to installl it and no way will it fit - fortunately it did fit in my HP so I am going to keep it bu still need a single slot PCI-E that can run Dirt 2 at reason frame rate.

papasnewbag

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
The recommendations on this thread may send you down the wrong path. I ordered a Radeon HD 5670 and the pictures available for it are wrong (both on Amazon and New Egg). It's a double slot card. Or at least the one I got in the mail is, and reports from other people indicate similar surprised results. Be warned.

neil9294

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

Hi, I have a DELL E520 and I got a Powercolor HD5770 which is a single slot card that fits in very neatly. See http://www.powercolor.com/au/products_features.asp?id=209 for details. The issue with the E520 is that the motherboard is BTX, meaning that all of the expansion cards sit the opposite way up from ATX motherboards, i.e. the HSF faces upwards rather than downwards as in an ATX. That is why only a single slot card will fit as there is no expansion slot above the one PCI-e slot. The HSF on the HD5770 faces upwards and sits quite high but it doesn't interfere with any of the internals in the case. It also means that the fan can clear air well away from the GPU into the case near the rear vents instead of having it trapped between the Graphics card and other PCI expansion cards (in this case my Audigy 2ZS sound card).The performance is more than adequate for my gaming needs (Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2) on a 20" monitor on maximum resolution. Powercolor also make an HD6850 single slot (http://www.powercolor.com/au/products_features.asp?id=342 ), which is quite a bit longer but thinner so it should fit in beneath the CPU HSF shroud. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.