How to Overclock a i7 2600 non-k on a Foxcon 2ABf

well i spent all my day today trying to to Overclock my intelcore i7 2600 non-k on a Foxconn 2ABf but here comes the problem

1 . i cant find any clock option inside my BIOS
2 . i couldnt get the newst BIOS from Foxconn even using AIDA 64 to look for more accurate information, because they have the wort support webpage ever
3 . i really want to overclock it; but in a safe range i dont want to brake it

motherboard stuff

Name:Foxconn 2ABF
ID:63-0100-000001-00101111-061711 - Chipset$0AAAA000_BIOS DATE: 03/23/2012 CUP716.ROM VER: 7.16
(BIOS update http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=cp-107741-1&cc=es&dlc=es&lc=es&os=4063&product=5197808&sw_lang=)

i read other topics where some people said it's impossible, other said it was possible but limited (only can change the multiplier to a definite value), so now there is your chance to demonstrate it's possible

Excuse me for my english, i'm from spain

Thx
20 answers Last reply
More about overclock 2600 foxcon 2abf
  1. The lack of the K suffix means the multiplier is locked, and looking at Wikipedia, H61 motherboards normally only allow for GPU overclocking. Foxconn doesn't provide an online manual for that motherboard, but if you provide some photos of your BIOS options, someone here might notice an option you missed that would allow some overclocking.
  2. if you do not have the option to change the turbo boost multi then the only way is to raise the base clock (Bclk) that is at 100Mhz.

that is not recommended since the base clock also affects the RAM and PCI bus and will could cause instability that can damage your other components.

a P67 or Z68 motherboard will allow to adjust the turbo boost.
  3. well i decided to post my BIOS menu so maybe someone can tell me what to do

Sytem info
    languaje change
    diagnose (f2)
    Start Menu (F9)
    Computer Setup (f10)
    System recovery
    network boot
    utilities
    UEFI aplication execution (or something like that)

In COMPUTER SETUP we can found

File -System info
    - About
    - Time&Date

Storage -Devices config
    - Storage options
    - Autoprobe DPS

Security

Energy

Advanced - boot options
    - BIOS switching on
    -BUS options
    - Devices options

If there is any other part of the menu i should post i will do it
  4. The following three items might have subitems that are relevant:
    Utilities
    UEFI application execution (personally, I'm not sure what this even means)
    BUS options

However, I suspect that looniam is right and the most you can do is raise the base clock, which has the dangers mentioned in that post.
  5. so well

utilities - time&date; seems to select an especific time and date (so retarded, cuz i already have that option)

BUS options
    - generation PCI SERR# (abled by default)-------in spanish (generacion PCI SERR#)

-VGA of PCI palette inquiry (disabled by default) -----in spanish (indagación de paleta VGA de PCI)

UEFI aplication execution...(dots included)-----in spanish ( ejecutar aplicacion UEFI)
  6. i forgot to say that when i press UEFI aplication execution...(dots included) nothing happens
  7. None of those look relevant for overclocking. You want to find one that shows a numeric value to change.
  8. the issue is that i can't find any value to change;
    is it possible to do with any kind of software?
  9. I seem to recall reading that overclocking the cpu with software is more dangerous than overclocking via BIOS/UEFI, and I think you'd need the software to have been included with your motherboard, so that it would be compatible.
  10. i have no software included with motherboard, because i simply bought the computer from the hp online store and everything came already instaled

maybe if i press a determined key combination i can do something here?
    (UEFI aplication execution...(dots included)-----in spanish ( ejecutar aplicacion UEFI))

because what happens is that the white letter behind the menu dissapear and only the menu itself remains on the screen but simply nothing happens
  11. i dont know if it can be heplfull; but that's the info of my motherboard
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&tmp_geoLoc=true&docname=c02978278
  12. Well, I'm stumped. I don't see any way to overclock with your current hardware. Most pre-built computers aren't designed for overclocking anyway.
  13. estoa said:
    well i spent all my day today trying to to Overclock my intelcore i7 2600 non-k on a Foxconn 2ABf but here comes the problem

1 . i cant find any clock option inside my BIOS
    2 . i couldnt get the newst BIOS from Foxconn even using AIDA 64 to look for more accurate information, because they have the wort support webpage ever
    3 . i really want to overclock it; but in a safe range i dont want to brake it

motherboard stuff

Name:Foxconn 2ABF
    ID:63-0100-000001-00101111-061711 - Chipset$0AAAA000_BIOS DATE: 03/23/2012 CUP716.ROM VER: 7.16
    (BIOS update http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=cp-107741-1&cc=es&dlc=es&lc=es&os=4063&product=5197808&sw_lang=)

i read other topics where some people said it's impossible, other said it was possible but limited (only can change the multiplier to a definite value), so now there is your chance to demonstrate it's possible

Excuse me for my english, i'm from spain

Thx

That Foxconn board is an OEM board intended for brand name, mass production types of computers, like HP, Acer, etc. It is engineered to have very little margins beyond what the ODM (HP, etc) specified. So don't be surprised if it has very little in the way of VRM phases (looks like you have only 3 for the CPU) or cooling. As such, the OEM/ODM will not allow the end user to push the hardware out of the tiny safety margins they built the machine for by disabling multiplier options, voltage options and even BCLK options in the BIOS/UEFI. This is unfortunately your case.

If you want to OC, I think Intel allows for 4 extra bins (used to be this way) on top of the max turbo bin, so I think for the 3770 non-K, you have a max Turbo of 3.9 Ghz+ 4 bins x 100mhz per bin = 4.3 Ghz MAX via multiplier OC. If you get a nice retail board with a Z77, Z68, even P67 based board, you'll be able to play with OC via multiplier and voltages.
  14. well first of all, i want to say thank you to all of you for helping me
    As i dont want to spend a single €/$ on my pc right now, because as maybe some of you, spain's situation is not best.

Is there any other way to improbe my computer?

I have already improved my nvidia gforce 530GT using nTune
  15. I can think of two ways to improve your computer's performance without spending money on it:
    1. Remove bloatware (you can search for programs to do that)
    2. Defrag (more effective after removing bloatware; don't use defrag on an ssd, but I'd be surprised if you had one in a pre-built HP computer)
  16. it is impossible to overclock that CPU, its a NON-k model, which means, its locked, and can not be overclocked.

also, i have never ever heard about that kind of motherboard before, so if you even could overclock it, it might end up been unstable because of the motherboard aint meant for that, also, you'll will be needing a good cooler for overclocking.
  17. You can overclock the 2600 via Turbo Boost, but not with your board.

Your board has a locked BIOS to prevent people from messing around, this is because HP, ASUS, etc. would get a lot of complaints if someone destroyed their system from messing around in the BIOS.
  18. Saehon said:
    it is impossible to overclock that CPU, its a NON-k model, which means, its locked, and can not be overclocked.

also, i have never ever heard about that kind of motherboard before, so if you even could overclock it, it might end up been unstable because of the motherboard aint meant for that, also, you'll will be needing a good cooler for overclocking.

That's just not true. Non-K series are "limited" unlocked, as termed by Intel. This means you have an additional 4 bins on top of the max Turbo bin for any Sandy/Ivy chip without a K designation but with Turbo. So his chip can do 4.3 Ghz on the right board. See:

As summarized by Anandtech:

"Just like we saw with Sandy Bridge, Ivy will be available in fully unlocked (K-series), partially unlocked (any part with Turbo support) and fully locked (anything without Turbo support) SKUs."

Taken from:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5626/ivy-bridge-preview-core-i7-3770k/3

The OP's mobo is an OEM (by Foxconn) made for an ODM (HP in this case). If you look at most motherboards today (ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, etc), you'll (most likely) see a Foxconn brand name laser etched onto the CPU socket on the reverse side of the board. Foxconn mass produces motherboards, including Apple's motherboards (computer or mobile), and parts to allow others to produce them. I think Foxconn is by far the largest of about 6 electronics makers. There are other ones like Pegatron, who produces for Asrock, I think. ASUS used to make their own, not sure who actually makes ASUS boards now...
  19. so... my processor allows me OC a bit; but my motherboard doesnt??
  20. estoa said:
    so... my processor allows me OC a bit; but my motherboard doesnt??

That would appear to be the case. That is absolutely NORMAL/TYPICAL for ODM branded computers (HP, Compaq, Acer, etc...). They save money by selling only specifications (Core i7, 8GB of RAM, etc) and cutting corners where it costs them money like VRM design, # of SATA ports, case ventilation and cooling, power supply quality and sizing, etc, etc.

Bottom line is, if you would like to perform enthusiast-level actions like overclocking, you absolutely NEED to go aftermarket and build your own (DIY), unless you spend a LOT of money for a brand name box that is advertised to be enthusiast-ready (overclocking friendly, SLI/Crossfire friendly, powerful PSU, lots of ventilation, etc).
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking BIOS Foxconn Intel i7