Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My very first graphic card.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 1, 2010 11:29:06 PM

Well I'm building a new AMD system and was wondering about what graphic card to get. I've heard about DX11 cards and such and have a few questions.

I remember on my old laptop, some games gave me errors that my intel graphics didn't support DX9, if I had a DX10 card with this happen if I tried to play a DX11 game?

Other than performace, what is the different between DX10 and DX11 cards? does if affect how the game look?

I was looking to spend about 100 bucks, but I might cough up more for a DX11 card if it is worth it.

More about : graphic card

a c 130 U Graphics card
March 1, 2010 11:31:01 PM

DX11 is going to be better, simply because it's more useful than DX10 ever was. It does look better, but the real treasure is being able to make things look better without hogging up GPU resources. At $100, the best Dx11 card is the HD5670, but if you can put out $40 more for an HD5770, you can get twice the performance.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
March 1, 2010 11:37:44 PM

If you go with shadow's suggestion, remember PSU requirements for the 5770. It's not a very PSU demanding card, but might add a few extra bucks on a little more powerful PSU.

The minimum you should consider is a: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cheers!

PS: This is a nice combo! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 1, 2010 11:40:15 PM

The new DX11 games that are coming out now have a DX10 or maybe a DX9 mode which will allow you to play with older DX10 and 9 cards, but don't expect programmers to allow that backwards compatibility forever.

I agree with shadow about the 5670 and if you can spare more a 5770.
March 1, 2010 11:49:51 PM

Wow that's a great deal, good thing I held back about buying a psu. And I'll take your guys advice, I'll go for the 5770
March 1, 2010 11:50:27 PM

Best answer selected by blaze200.
a c 212 U Graphics card
March 1, 2010 11:55:26 PM

DX11 doesn't really mean much at all "today" as the games released to date have only implemented it to a minor extent. If you read the dirt 2 article for example here on THG, it labels the impact on the gaming experience as barely noticeable but the impact on performance as "colossal".

DX11 allows game developers to make more detailed by using a greater number of polygons. As it takes about 2 years and as much 20 - 100 million dollars to develop a game, and DX11 only being around for 4 months, devs have hardly had time to heavily implement its features.

If you are looking at two cards that perform about the same and one is DX11, by all means grab the DX11 card. But if the DX10 card has a performance advantage, I'd lean toward the faster card. The key will be how long you expect to use the card....if you will get a new GFX card again within the next 18 months, I don't see not having DX11 being a big disappointment.

You don't mention resolution which is the key factor in choosing a card. here's what THG says:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-graphic...

Best PCI Express (PCIe) Card For ~$80: - GeForce 9600 GT - Great 1680x1050 performance in most games, 1920x1200 in most games with lowered detail

The February Roundup has me a bit confused as in January, THG had a tie between the 4850 and the 250 at $110. This month the 4850 sits alone at the $100 spot which I didn't understand as until yesterday, they were selling for the exact same $100 price on newegg. Which one to buy ? Quick answer, whichever one is cheaper......tho, if ya think ya might wanna play any PhysX games, you could still find some use for the 250 in your next build as a dedicated PhysX card and the extra $10 you'd pay at newegg today might be worth it in the long run.

If you think you'll live with this card for more than 18 months, ya might wanna move up $40 to the 5750.

Over the long run though, I'd urge you to move up to something more powerful, as a 1920 x 1080 monitor, which are now at the $200 price point, can't be far behind. A 5770 will do DX9/10 very well and you can always add a 2nd one when DX11 games start to mature and place more demands on GFC systems.
!