Closed Solved

Enough CPU grunt ?.

Is my stock I7-920 with stock fan enough to run 2 gtx470 in sli.
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about enough grunt
  1. Best answer
    Yes, but the more important question is, is your power supply strong enough?

A bit of OCing might boost your performance a bit with two cards but you wont be getting to much of a bottleneck even at stock.
  2. hunter315 said:
    Yes, but the more important question is, is your power supply strong enough?

A bit of OCing might boost your performance a bit with two cards but you wont be getting to much of a bottleneck even at stock.

I will be upgrading to a 1000w psu to cope with power demand. Just hoping not to have to overclock. Will also be upgrading CPU with aftermarket fan. Thanks for quick response.

Any other opions?.
  3. Yes, your cpu should be good enough not to be a bottle neck. And a 1000w psu should be more than enough.
  4. Which 1000 watt PSU? This is important as some PSUs are much better quality than others.
  5. "but its 1000W, and it has heatpipes. How come it won't power my system?"

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=187

1kW doesn't mean anything. Some manufacturers have no problems lying to you.
  6. 4745454b said:
    "but its 1000W, and it has heatpipes. How come it won't power my system?"

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=187

1kW doesn't mean anything. Some manufacturers have no problems lying to you.

wow, this is worse than the apevia warlock series
  7. Quote:
    lol, at least its pretty and works decently as a 500W...

though for $100, there are much better designs, especially considering the missing MOV and the fact that it uses passive PFC
  8. duk3 said:
    Which 1000 watt PSU? This is important as some PSUs are much better quality than others.

Power supplu will be either, Corsair or Thermaltake or Antec. From what i have read , these get good reviews and are all sli & Nvidia certified.

Thanks guys for all your responses.

Moderator can now close thread.
  9. It would probably worthwhile to even mildly overclock the 920 seeing as how easy they respond to overclocking Even at stock voltage you should be able to get at least a couple hundred more mhz out of it if not more. even if you are running the stock cooling solution there still is a bit of headroom at stock voltages.

I know with my X-fire 5870 the OC was noticable in frame rate increases and especially with the vantage score lol
  10. Quote:
    Was reading jonnyguru, and was suprised that this is actually a pretty nice deal:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182069&cm_re=Rosewill_Xtreme-_-17-182-069-_-Product

wow newegg still has that in stock, i bought that on 11/28/2007 for my last build (sold to a friend), good PSU and i got it for $85
  11. theda said:
    Moderator can now close thread.

Select the answer that you feel helped you the most and I will.
  12. Best answer selected by theda.
  13. Mousemonkey said:
    Select the answer that you feel helped you the most and I will.

Thanking you kindly, peter.
  14. theda said:
    Thanking you kindly, peter.

You're welcome.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Fan SLI Product