Sign in with
Your question

Will dual channel still work if there's three sticks present?

Last response: in Memory
November 12, 2010 5:31:55 PM

Hi, I have a few questions about whether my memory will work optimally together. I have one stick of 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz Kingston RAM and two sticks of Dual Channel G.Skill Ripjaw 1333Mhz (CAS 7.7.7.21). I bought the Kingston first when I was building the machine because it was the safest buy, and then I just bought the superior G.Skill to enhance my performance.

My first question is, will the G.Skill still work in dual channel mode if the Kingston RAM is also present in the third slot? Or do they all just run in single channel mode?

My second question is, what is the proper positioning for the three sticks? My mobo guide says if you have two sticks to put them in the second and fourth slots (DDR3_1 and DDR3_3 respectively), so I did that and then I put the Kingston in the first slot of the second channel (DDR3_2). Is that the correct way to position them?

Would I be better off just taking the Kingston stick out and using only the G.Skill? I have them all running at 7.7.7.21, and they seem to be fine, so if the G.Skill will still work in dual channel mode with the Kingston present then I'd prefer to keep them all in, since I sometimes do memory intensive video and audio editing, but if the G.Skill won't work in dual channel, then it probably makes more sense to take the Kingston out, right?

Thanks for your help. Wasn't able to find the answers anywhere.
November 12, 2010 5:55:01 PM

My mobo is a Gigabyte H57-USB3. From reading around it looks like most motherboards will only run 3 sticks in single channel mode, except for some that will run in so-called 'hybrid mode.' I don't know if that is the case for my system, but the manual doesn't say anything about it. Can anyone enlighten me on this?
m
l
!