Emailing Digital Camera Photos Using a Mobile

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 1, 2004 9:52:37 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I am going abroad & want to email pictures back home whilst I am away.
I was going to get a digital camera & hopefully find a phone which
accepted the camera's memory card so that I could email photos using
GPRS.

Has anyone tried this?

Is there a better solution? I don't want to use the camera on a camera
phone as I want decent quality photos.

Would be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 2:09:29 PM

paddysmith@farming.co.uk (Paddy) writes:

> I am going abroad & want to email pictures back home whilst I am away.
> I was going to get a digital camera & hopefully find a phone which
> accepted the camera's memory card so that I could email photos using
> GPRS.
>
> Has anyone tried this?
>
> Is there a better solution? I don't want to use the camera on a camera
> phone as I want decent quality photos.
>
> Would be grateful for any suggestions.

One other possibility is to get a Roadstor or Apacer which take memory cards
and burn CDs, and do a snail mail of the CD (in a proper jewel case and CD
mailer) to your house.

Internet cafes may be an option.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

Paddy <paddysmith@farming.co.uk> wrote:

> I am going abroad & want to email pictures back home whilst I am away.
> I was going to get a digital camera & hopefully find a phone which
> accepted the camera's memory card so that I could email photos using
> GPRS.
>
> Has anyone tried this?
>
> Is there a better solution? I don't want to use the camera on a camera
> phone as I want decent quality photos.
>
> Would be grateful for any suggestions.
>
> Thanks

I really wouldn't bother, at £5 plus / mb it's going to be a very
expensive exercise.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL
December 1, 2004 6:20:31 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Paddy <paddysmith@farming.co.uk> wrote:
> I am going abroad & want to email pictures back home whilst I am away.
> I was going to get a digital camera & hopefully find a phone which
> accepted the camera's memory card so that I could email photos using
> GPRS.
>
> Has anyone tried this?

E-mailing decent sized photos from abroad will cost you an absolute fortune.
Sometimes up to £10 a megabyte.

I wouldn't bother.

--
Geek Made Easy - http://www.geekmadeeasy.com/
We're geeks so you don't have to be

On 1 Dec 2004 06:52:37 -0800, paddysmith@farming.co.uk (Paddy) wrote:

>I am going abroad & want to email pictures back home whilst I am away.
>I was going to get a digital camera & hopefully find a phone which
>accepted the camera's memory card so that I could email photos using
>GPRS.
>
>Has anyone tried this?
>
>Is there a better solution? I don't want to use the camera on a camera
>phone as I want decent quality photos.
>
>Would be grateful for any suggestions.

Horribly expensive. Really horrible expensive. By the time you've
sent a few, you'll have spent as much as you would have done on a
laptop that you could have e-mailed them from for almost nothing.

Brian
December 1, 2004 8:41:16 PM

bigbrian <harry8611@shotmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 Dec 2004 06:52:37 -0800, paddysmith@farming.co.uk (Paddy) wrote:
>
> >I am going abroad & want to email pictures back home whilst I am away.
> >I was going to get a digital camera & hopefully find a phone which
> >accepted the camera's memory card so that I could email photos using
> >GPRS.
> >
> >Has anyone tried this?
> >
> >Is there a better solution? I don't want to use the camera on a camera
> >phone as I want decent quality photos.
> >
> >Would be grateful for any suggestions.
>
> Horribly expensive. Really horrible expensive. By the time you've
> sent a few, you'll have spent as much as you would have done on a
> laptop that you could have e-mailed them from for almost nothing.

One would assume that a traveller wanting to email photos back would
also be relying on GPRS via the laptop, too.

VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL
December 1, 2004 9:34:07 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 17:41:16 +0000, steve@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH)
wrote:

>bigbrian <harry8611@shotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 1 Dec 2004 06:52:37 -0800, paddysmith@farming.co.uk (Paddy) wrote:
>>
>> >I am going abroad & want to email pictures back home whilst I am away.
>> >I was going to get a digital camera & hopefully find a phone which
>> >accepted the camera's memory card so that I could email photos using
>> >GPRS.
>> >
>> >Has anyone tried this?
>> >
>> >Is there a better solution? I don't want to use the camera on a camera
>> >phone as I want decent quality photos.
>> >
>> >Would be grateful for any suggestions.
>>
>> Horribly expensive. Really horrible expensive. By the time you've
>> sent a few, you'll have spent as much as you would have done on a
>> laptop that you could have e-mailed them from for almost nothing.
>
>One would assume that a traveller wanting to email photos back would
>also be relying on GPRS via the laptop, too.

Or wireless hotspots and internet cafes. Depends where he's going to
be of course.

Brian
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 1:17:48 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.mobile,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 1 Dec 2004 06:52:37 -0800, paddysmith@farming.co.uk (Paddy) wrote:

>I am going abroad & want to email pictures back home whilst I am away.
>I was going to get a digital camera & hopefully find a phone which
>accepted the camera's memory card so that I could email photos using
>GPRS.
>
>Has anyone tried this?
>
>Is there a better solution? I don't want to use the camera on a camera
>phone as I want decent quality photos.

Decent quality photos=big files. You REALLY don;t want to be emailing
them from a roaming mobile!

I suggest that you buy several big memory cards, or buy one of those
gizmos that have a hard disc drive and a memory card slot, and they
copy stuff onto the HDD when you put the memory card in the slot.

Scan were selling them at one time.

--

Iain
the out-of-date hairydog guide to mobile phones