Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Failed OCZ Vertex 2?

Last response: in Storage
April 9, 2012 8:53:01 AM

Hi Folks,

Yesterday my OCZ Vertex 2 120GB stopped working (just under 1 year old). Here are the symptoms:

- Computer "crashed" showing the HDD indicator solidly on. The only way to get the computer to respond was by resetting.

- Windows could not find boot device (it turns out that my 100mb system partition was on my 1TB mechanical HDD)

- OCZ Vertex 2 was recognized as "Hitachi <some codename>" for a while - which is odd as I do not have any Hitachi components in my computer. Now it is not recognized at all.

- Vertex 2 drive showing red + green LEDs.

- About a week ago my Windows 7 boot partition corrupted and I had to reformat ... Could this have been a sign of the Vertex 2 on its "last legs"?

I have tried unplugging the drive, leaving it for an hour/overnight and reconnecting it as suggested in an OCZ Technology forum. No response from drive.

So is my SSD dead?
Anything else I should try before I RMA?

Cheers,

Luke

More about : failed ocz vertex

a b G Storage
April 9, 2012 12:00:45 PM

Windows can crash due to lots of different things, a bad hard drive being one of those. Not really a way to say for sure if it was because of the drive though.

Drive sounds pretty dead to me, send it back.
m
l
April 9, 2012 2:32:35 PM

Thanks for the reply!

tomatthe said:
Windows can crash due to lots of different things, a bad hard drive being one of those. Not really a way to say for sure if it was because of the drive though.

++I initially thought it was a "routine" windows 7 crash. But when I reset to find that the computer could not find the boot drive I assumed that it was the SSD failing. I am also having issues with my GPU drivers at the moment so it could've been a (very) unlucky coincidence that the GPU drivers crashed the system just as the SSD decided to fail.

Anyway I will take the SSD back to the store tomorrow, and see if I can get them to replace it with an Intel or Crucial drive. After a quick Google I've noticed that the OCZ drives are not very reliable with a lot of people having issues with their drives.

Do you know of any other reputable SSD makers, or good models? I would like to stay away from OCZ in the future!

Luke
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b G Storage
April 9, 2012 2:55:01 PM

Samsung and Intel seem to be what people prefer for reliability sake. Probably be safe with either of those, I use a Samsung, but that's just because I happened to find a better deal on it vs the Intel drive.

I'm not sure where you're located, but that's one hell of a return policy if you can return something almost a year old and swap it for a different drive altogether.

Do not end up with a Corsair drive though.
April 9, 2012 11:34:23 PM

tomatthe said:

I'm not sure where you're located, but that's one hell of a return policy if you can return something almost a year old and swap it for a different drive altogether.

Yeah ... I'm doubting my chances too! Doesn't hurt to be optimistic though!!

m
l
April 20, 2012 3:27:09 AM

My failed OCZ Vertex 2 has been sent off to be repaired/refurbished/replaced by OCZ. Expected is at least three weeks without my SSD -- which means putting up with an extremely slow 2.5" notebook HDD I scrounged from a dead laptop.

Thanks for the input tomatthe, and I hope that I'll have better luck with the next SSD --- although looking through the OCZ support forums it doesn't seem likely :/ 

Cheers,

Luke
m
l
April 20, 2012 3:27:26 AM

Best answer selected by ukee1593.
m
l
!