My PSU Fan stopped

dariuas

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I have an ABS Tagan, 1100w BZ Series PSU
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817814012)
The fan recently decided to stop spinning.
I am getting a refund from ABS, but it'll take a bit for the Refund process, and I can't afford
a new PSU for the time being.
I've taken a 120mm case fan, and put it on top of the PSU to help with the airflow.
Will this suffice for at least a bit? I don't run the PC in long spurts; or really
do anything on it at the moment.
I put everything on my PC back to stock so less power is draw... maybe I should down clock my video card...
So my system

Core i7 920
Asus P6t Deluxe
Sapphire 4870x2
ABS Tagan 1100w --- DOA
Cooler Master Storm Sniper

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
The psu fan exhausts hot air from the back, so putting the 120mm fan on top of the psu will be of little help. Also the 4870X2 is a power hog, & produces plenty of heat. I'd say don't run any games, till the refund/new psu arrives (I assume you'l be getting a new psu ... ??). You can even remove the card for the time being, to overcome the temptation of gaming.

dariuas

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I have no temptation to play games. :O
How long do you think I can run the PC like this at one sitting? Hour? 2 hours?
I think I may underclock the card..

Collie147

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Just disconnect one of your GPU cards power cables. And if the 120mm fan is pointing in the right direction it could work, but I'd say get two fans one intake and another exhaust on either end and have them creating a decent airflow between them. That should be as good as using the PSU if it had a built in fan.

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010

Well then if you don't game, that card will just sit there doing nothing but consume power. So why not remove it altogether? You want to reduce the load on the PSU as much as possible, right?
It would be difficult to predict for how long the system will run continuously. To know that, I guess you'll just have to take a test drive :D