Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

System won't boot with Harddrive plugged

Last response: in Storage
Share
April 9, 2012 2:24:52 PM

Hi
I have done a very stupid thing . I unplugged my DVD rom from motherboard without turning PC off and then tried to plug in additional Harddrive . After this my computer crashed . There was no smoke , no sparks. After turning my pc on it started but then stopped on the boot screen and won't proceed any further . I can't access bios with harddrive plugged . After unplugging it everything worked fine . It is only 40 gb harddrive but still there are some information worth recowering . I have also tried to run this harddrive on different PC with same result . I have found few other threads but their problem was that hdd wasn't detected by system . However it seems that this harddrive somehow prevents bios from starting .

Harddrive itself looks intact . Nothing looks burned .
Do you think it is possible to run it or somehow extract stored data ?

Harddrive is Seagate U6
And it looks like system is able to ''feel'' it since it prevents the system from starting .
April 9, 2012 2:34:32 PM

Try using a different 4-pin power connector. Other than that, you're probably not going to be able to connect a different ata cable, right? Last resort, try using a different computer. Very little chance that a ruined hard drive would harm another computer if installed correctly.
m
0
l
April 9, 2012 2:41:55 PM

stingstang said:
Try using a different 4-pin power connector. Other than that, you're probably not going to be able to connect a different ata cable, right? Last resort, try using a different computer. Very little chance that a ruined hard drive would harm another computer if installed correctly.



My knowliedge about harddrives is somehow limited :( 

I tryed to run this harddisk on different computer with same result.


Computer starts . First screen appears but then freezes ( i think)
m
0
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
April 9, 2012 2:42:25 PM

you have burned your hard drive by plugging it in to a live system
m
0
l
April 9, 2012 2:47:40 PM

alvine said:
you have burned your hard drive by plugging it in to a live system


Does that part which holds data is also burned ?
And How does it prevent my system from starting ?
m
0
l
April 9, 2012 2:56:42 PM

alvine said:
you have burned your hard drive by plugging it in to a live system

not true...hard drives have a hot plug function, therefore he can not burn it
m
0
l
April 9, 2012 3:00:24 PM

most likely it's worn out....every electronic component has a limited operation time....if you really value your data that much you can send your hard drive to a recovery company....what they will do is remove the platter and install it on one of their bench and transfer the data on a new drive for you....it can be really pricey....ask around for a quote
m
0
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
April 9, 2012 3:02:46 PM

Even if your hard drive is really damaged, it should be the logic board, not the disks or the mecanism. So your data is probably still there.

You should check the BIOS (remove the disk, if you have to) for your boot order. Make sure the system won't try to boot from that disk.

If that fails, the logic board is probably damaged. This means that, while you can still recover your data, it will be no simple feat. You should then consider how badly you need that data. You may be able to either repair or replace the logic board (if you have solid skill with electronics). Otherwise, look for professional data recovery help.
Share
a b G Storage
April 9, 2012 3:04:17 PM

nebun said:
not true...hard drives have a hot plug function, therefore he can not burn it


Not true. It's a 40 GB disk. It's not SATA, therefore not hot pluggable.
m
0
l
April 9, 2012 3:08:43 PM

nebun said:
most likely it's worn out....every electronic component has a limited operation time....if you really value your data that much you can send your hard drive to a recovery company....what they will do is remove the platter and install it on one of their bench and transfer the data on a new drive for you....it can be really pricey....ask around for a quote



It is true that my hdd is indeed old but it was my careless handling which caused it to fail .
Just before few hours it worked just fine :( 

Murissokah said:
Even if your hard drive is really damaged, it should be the logic board, not the disks or the mecanism. So your data is probably still there.

You should check the BIOS (remove the disk, if you have to) for your boot order. Make sure the system won't try to boot from that disk.

If that fails, the logic board is probably damaged. This means that, while you can still recover your data, it will be no simple feat. You should then consider how badly you need that data. You may be able to either repair or replace the logic board (if you have solid skill with electronics). Otherwise, look for professional data recovery help.


My skills with electronics are rather poor
This harddrive does not contain system and data are not that essential
If repairing this logic board is really that hard then i guess i will just put this harddrive away :/ 
thanx for the answer though . I guess i'll use my bran next time :pt1cable: 
m
0
l
April 9, 2012 4:53:32 PM

Best answer selected by Troglodite.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
April 9, 2012 5:19:41 PM

nebun said:
not true...hard drives have a hot plug function, therefore he can not burn it

internal hard drives dont have hot swapping function there is no safety against frying the drive :non: 
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 10, 2012 3:59:44 AM

40 gb drive, pretty old model and so without warranty rite ?. try a Google search. There are many companies which sell used logic cards. It is not that hard to get circuit boards for the older models.Things dont come cheap. For short circuit like situation, Seagate models have safety fuse on their logic cards (i dont know about the older models). Data generally remains intact in most of the crashed situation . Even after u get ur logic card u will have to do tweaking ( Bios data on logic card is unique to each hard disk) to get it running.
m
0
l
!