Blue screen intermittently recently started

eNikko

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Hi,

My computer has over the last few months started rebooting with a blue screen. As far as I know, no changes have been made to the system, other than files.

The troubleshooting I've done makes me think it's related to my RAID 1 drive setup. I have been able to keep the computer running without rebooting provided I remove the SATA cables from the 2 drives involved in the RAID. I have left the power running to the drives (as a test for heat buildup).

The computer has a 2nd copy of WinXP SP3 installed on a different drive and the BSOD happens on that copy of Windows as well.

I have reinstalled the BIOS (seems like DFI has not released any BIOS revisions for the LanParty DK P35 2TRS) and the problem persists. I have the same problem when I overclock, using DFI's overclocking .ABS file.

Any suggestions as to what to look for? If I can't resolve this problem, I may have a solution by purchasing a RAID 1 NAS enclosure and running the disks from there.

Regards,

Nik

Mother board: LanParty DK P35-T2RS
CPU: Intel e8500
Memory:G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
Power Supply: Antec TruePower Trio 430
Video: EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI
Hard drives: Maxtor IDE (Master) ST350063QA System Disk, 2 Seagate ST375064QAS in a RAID 1 volume for data storage.
CD/DVD: TDK 440N IDE (Slave)
Sound: On board.
Nic/Lan: On board
OPERATING SYTEM: WinXP SP3

What's the blue screen stop code ((0x00000...)? If you can see the blue screen only for a while do this:

Right Click “My Computer” -> Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery/Settings. Untick the “Automatically Restart” box and press Ok.

eNikko

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

I haven't had a blue screen for a couple of hours, so I "couldn't wait." Rather than resolve my problem I went out and bought a 2 bay enclosure (D-Link DNS-321) to house my RAID 1 drives. It's REALLY SLOW and has been nearly 20 hours copying the original data from my computer to the device over Ethernet.

My Motherboard BIOS is now change from "RAID" to "IDE" and the problems have probably gone away. My computer has been running without stop for over 24 hours now and no problems.

The only possible explanation I could come up with (other than a faulty component on the motherboard) was that my upgrade to a more recent version of the Intel RAID software may not have updated the file in the system32 folder. I noticed it was an older version than all the other Intel RAID software in the \Program Files folder.

Anyway, thanks for your help and consideration.

Nik

eNikko

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Here it is over a week later - the new setup is still working without rebooting.

I haven't figured out the cause of my original problem, but that's okay.

(Thanks; apologies for the eye-traffic)

Latest posts