Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard spark help

Tags:
  • Chipsets
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
November 13, 2010 5:37:55 AM

I changed my i7 950 hsf with a xigmatek thor's hammer but first it wont boot so I removed the CMOS battery.... it started but after 2 second I smelled smoke and it sparked so I need help

its a gigabyte GA-X58-USB3

didint even go in bios

More about : motherboard spark

a c 435 V Motherboard
November 13, 2010 10:12:43 AM

If you removed the board to install the new heatsink, then you may have mounted it against some metal or screw underneath the board causing a short. Can't help you now; inspect the board for burnt marks; place it on a non conductive surface such as a phonebook or the cardboard box it came in. Try posting with just the cpu/heatsink, one ram stick, and video. If it doesn't post and you don't have any burn marks on the board, then request an rma from gigabyte. It takes about three weeks to process it. Good luck.
m
l
November 13, 2010 12:41:51 PM

o1die said:
If you removed the board to install the new heatsink, then you may have mounted it against some metal or screw underneath the board causing a short. Can't help you now; inspect the board for burnt marks; place it on a non conductive surface such as a phonebook or the cardboard box it came in. Try posting with just the cpu/heatsink, one ram stick, and video. If it doesn't post and you don't have any burn marks on the board, then request an rma from gigabyte. It takes about three weeks to process it. Good luck.

I didnt try 1 stick but too scared to try again although I tried it with no sticks ( thats actually also my config when it sparked) but tried also 3 sticks still didnt boot

oh yeah after the spark tried again but still smoke smell although no more spark

no burn marks

I think while installing heatsink screwdriver sliped and hit a black chip (dunno what) didnt dent or anything but top paint kinda got removed
will it still be OK for RMA and last question if replace cannot be done or even repair can I let them repare for a charge?
m
l
Related resources
a c 435 V Motherboard
November 13, 2010 1:02:14 PM

Inspect again with a magnifying glass especially around the atx 24 pin connector and 12v 8 pin connector. Any signs of burning will cause gigabyte to reject the board and charge you for the repair. They will do the same inspection and take their time. They get damaged boards all the time, and some that don't need any repair. So be sure before you spend shipping charges to return it. I have no idea what they will charge you to repair the board.
m
l
November 13, 2010 1:46:51 PM

o1die said:
Inspect again with a magnifying glass especially around the atx 24 pin connector and 12v 8 pin connector. Any signs of burning will cause gigabyte to reject the board and charge you for the repair. They will do the same inspection and take their time. They get damaged boards all the time, and some that don't need any repair. So be sure before you spend shipping charges to return it. I have no idea what they will charge you to repair the board.

whatever the damage is do you think gigabyte will be able to fix ut for about $50 and should I send it to Gigabyte or newegg?
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
November 13, 2010 4:40:24 PM

Newegg will only take returns up to 30 days, unless you purchased an extended newegg warranty. You can request an rma for newegg or gigabyte. Newegg charges a 15% restocking fee unless the board is defective. You don't have to admit anything. Just tell them that the board won't post. I have no idea what gigabyte will charge. If the bill is too high, just tell them to keep the board. If they can't fix it for a reasonable fee, then you shouldn't try it. I worked in a printed wire board plant; if the damage extends to another layer, then it's toast.
m
l
!