MAC address not changing

I am trying to change my MAC address with several pieces of software that should do the trick, but they don't. They assign a new address, restart the controller, but the MAC address is still like it was before.

What could be the problem?

I have ASUS MB built in Realtek RTL8168C controllers.
5 answers Last reply
More about address changing
  1. Can't you do it in Local Area Connection x, Properties, Configure, Advanced, Locally Administered Address?
  2. The value there is completely different from the value that I get if I do "getmac" in the command line. Is that normal?
  3. I don't know because mine is initially empty, but I haven't tried to change it with unknown utilities. getmac on a Gigabyte motherboard returns 00-1F-D0-xx-xx-xx. On an Asus motherboard, it returns 00-22-15-xx-xx-xx. What did you expect?
  4. GhislainG said:
    Can't you do it in Local Area Connection x, Properties, Configure, Advanced, Locally Administered Address?

^^ On every computer I have ever owned, this is how I did it.
  5. yaa, my mac ever changed, i got searching all over and got it finally that i was mad. here is how i fixed. go to LAN->properties->configure->advanced

here you see like "set the physical NIC to promiscuious ...", set its value to "enable" state.

now you can change mac as you like !
Ask a new question

Read More

Controller Mac Address Software Networking