Go NAS or just add another internal HDD to desktop and share that?

wagonist

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
My Laptop is running out of space, I dont want to get rid of the SSD in it for a higher capacity HDD, so I'd rather unload some data to another HDD in the house.

My current setup:

Desktop:
HP XW8600 workstation 2x quad xenon with 2x Samsung 64GB SSD in Raid 0 for OS (120GB total) and 150GB 15k RPM SAS drive for STEAM games and backup. Connected via RJ ethernet.
RUNNING OUT OF SPACE

Laptop:
Alienware M11x R1 1.7 Core2duo with older 256GB Samsung SSD. Connected via wifi (I don't remember if G or N card) RUNNING OUT OF SPACE

Router:
ASUS RT-N16 Gigabit with 2x USB (2.0?) ports

Now my options so far:

1 - Add an internal 1-2TB HDD to the WIN7 PRO 64B desktop for ~$150 and share it, from my understanding this would be fastest for desktop and but slow for laptop because of wifi limitations?

2 - Buy a Buffalo Linkstation Duo for ~$250, this would be sorta fast for desktop, but still not fast enough to store games on it because of max 30MB/s transfer rate? Plus side is its RAID 1 and somewhat portable if need be. Still slow for laptop because of wifi limitation?

3 - Buy an external HDD for ~$150 and connect it to ASUS router. I have no idea how fast/slow this would be for either machines but guessing slow for both. Plus side would be that its super portable, not that I'd need it to be.

4 - Buy a dedicated NAS miniserver for ~$400, this may get me close to 80-100MB/s for desktop, still slow on laptop because of wifi limitation. Not sure if I wanna spend that much without understanding the advantage of a NAS first.

Right now I'm leaning to the first 2 options. The desktop is always on, I guess my main question is what is the advantage of a NAS vs just sharing an internal HDD on my desktop?