HD 5670 on 250 watt psu (please reply) OPINIONS NEEDED!

rhysdalegend

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Hey guys, my mate plays mw2 and other games with me.
His computer was struggling with games on low, so we decided to try an upgrade.

his specs are (dont no the models)

core 2 duo

2gb ddr2

some acer motherboard

250 gb hdd

dvd burner

hd 2300 pro 256 mb ( his old graphics card)

stock 250 watt psu

Well i found out the hd 5670 was a good card for the price, so he went ahead and bought it.
We got it installed successfully.
Works like a charm in games, his loving it. basically everything on high on 1440 res.

So his pretty happy, but im kinda worried that if the psu will hold. i went and check some reviews saying that some systems never exceed 250 watts under load, but hoping for a better opinion.

Could the psu blow and take all the parts with it? or just die?

He cant get a new psu atm, he may have to wait a little bit.

So basically seems like its running fine and great, im just not 100% sure whats happein inside.
So whats your views?

multiscreenz

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
It's pretty risky to run it with that low of a power supply. You will start getting crashes when it starts to overheat. Now if you aren't gaming, then it may work just fine. And yes, the power supply can damage the motherboard if it overheats and burns out. However, that doesn't always happen.

rhysdalegend

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009

TY for replying, yea he isnt able to get a new one yet, so iv asked him to keep an eye out on it and let me no if anything happens.
Also iv read in alot of reviews that the system they ran on said that the whole load wattage was like 240 ish with an i7 etc, i dont no. just little worried