Usb ports not working - tried EVERYTHING

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrippySquidsman

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
Hi all,
I'm in deep trouble here, as all my USB ports have stopped working. They're supplying power as I can charge my iPod, but windows just refuses to detect anything. I've tried everything under the sun short of reinstalling XP, and I DO NOT want to do that. I'm considering doing a repair install, but this is a last resort. Here's all the stuff I've tried:

1. Try different ports/devices - nope
2. Reinstall/update drivers (this includes removing everything listed under USB Controllers) - nada
3. Check to see if USB support is enables in BIOS - zilch
4. Update BIOS - nothing
5. Try the power trick; unplug power, remove battery and leave overnight - no dice.
6. Checking that the USB power management is off - it is
7. Spend (and yes I worked this out) over 3 1/2 hours searching Google and forums - running out of nothings' here

With point 2, I have also removed past devices (that is, everything that has been plugged into the computer regarding USB) from the Disk Drives group and the USB Controllers group.

I really desperately need this to work, as I have assignments due in days and the school is anal about internet, so webmail is blocked.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention that this is a laptop (Acer TravelMate 4050 w XP SP3)

Solution

Yea weird bugs do happen if it really bugs you maybe back up your pc and install a fresh copy of xp it's a lot of work but if it fixes it. Also maybe the ports are fried? In one of my desktop pc a static shock from my finger believe it or not toasted the ports they supplied power but nothing more I ended up getting a cheap pci usb card for it, it was a old computer so no big deal but it happens.
I would suggest that you completely remove your USB ports in device manager and then restart the computer and let Windows reinstall the drivers. It is not uncommon for the USB ports to fail on a motherboard and if reinstalling the drivers does not work buy a PCI board with USB ports on, they are cheap and almost certain to work.

TrippySquidsman

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
Holy moley that's cheap! I might just pick one up, but I'm still mystified as to why my USB ports stopped working. It must some bug in XP, as I've read that it has happened to computers that are mere weeks old to a couple of years and they are completely different brands and types (lappies and desktops)

sideshowbob32

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010

Yea weird bugs do happen if it really bugs you maybe back up your pc and install a fresh copy of xp it's a lot of work but if it fixes it. Also maybe the ports are fried? In one of my desktop pc a static shock from my finger believe it or not toasted the ports they supplied power but nothing more I ended up getting a cheap pci usb card for it, it was a old computer so no big deal but it happens.

Solution

TrippySquidsman

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
Damn static. Nobody likes you.
Well, I've picked up a PCMCIA adapter from eBay for $6, and that should arrive in ~2 weeks. Thanks everybody for the quick replies- I'll be sure to return the good help here!

Status
Not open for further replies.