Sign in with
Your question

New Build or buy and upgrade refurbished PC?

Last response: in Systems
March 15, 2010 5:14:26 PM

I am weighing my options about getting a new PC and I've noticed that refurbished desktops can be bought at some low prices.

Specifically this Asus with an E5300, 6GB DDR2, 640GB HDD Etc.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Factory-Refurbished+...

All can be bought for $299.00. I know this is a little dated technology but I don't need to play the most modern games.

I do play games but mostly strategy games and very few FPS. I'm looking for advice on the downsides/upsides to buying refurbished desktops.
My idea was to buy this PC and then spend $150? on a new powers supply and video card...maybe a 4770? It seems that for less than $500 this would
be tough to beat.

Is this a good idea or should I spend a little extra and put together a new build with similar components?
March 15, 2010 5:53:31 PM

In general, I'm not a fan of refurbished or used technology. I think you're spending good money on something that can go wrong very quickly and leave up the creek without a paddle.

I would suggest this build as direct competition to that old POS system:

CPU/Mobo: X3 440 and Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 $160 after rebate
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115
GPU: HD 5770 $150 after rebate
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 500 GB $55
Case/PSU: Antec 300 Illusion and Neo Eco 520W $120
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $23

Total: $728.

While $230 more than that old one, this sytem is fully upgradeable. It features a high quality motherboard with USB 3/SATA III support, an excellent CPU that can easily be overclocked, a current generation GPU (can easily be subbed for a cheaper one), an excellent case and PSU, and a much faster HDD. This would be a much better choice even thought it's a tad more expensive. You also wouldn't have to deal with Vista...
!