Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hard drive size dropped after format

Last response: in Storage
April 10, 2012 12:22:29 AM

I was zero writing my laptops 640 GB hard drive and at the end it couldn't finish due to a bad sector, when it loaded in my computer it now says it's 595 Gb I have deleted the partition in computer management and re partitioned it with no luck. Should I be looking in to buying a new hard drive soon?
a c 261 G Storage
April 10, 2012 1:41:33 AM

It is just HDD manufacturers using decimal byte 640,000,000,000 /1024^3= 596GB in correct binary bytes!
m
l
a c 126 G Storage
April 10, 2012 1:47:36 AM

laptop4079 said:
I was zero writing my laptops 640 GB hard drive and at the end it couldn't finish due to a bad sector, when it loaded in my computer it now says it's 595 Gb I have deleted the partition in computer management and re partitioned it with no luck. Should I be looking in to buying a new hard drive soon?

if the drive is a 640 gig drive your you partion the drive and format it you do lose space from the total hard drive. most vendor dont list the usable drive size just what the max size of the drive would be it you placed one bit on it. if your drive in windows was 640g and it now down to 595g then the program you used must of written the bad sectors onto the drive firmware there a defects list on all hard drives. then vendor makes these list and it stored on the controler. as a drive gets older bad spots do show up. some drive and controlers can mask out the spots and puts them in what called a glist or grown list. if the glist hit a set size then smarts if turned on starts warning users to replace the drive soon. the factory name for the defects is called a plist
http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/hard-drive-defects-table.ht...
you may want to look at the software you ran to see if it change those lists. if it did not then the hard drive did it itself.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

April 10, 2012 12:51:01 PM

runswindows95 said:
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/5134/640v.jpg

That is correct size. The image posted is my 640GB hard drive. The total after formatting and partitioning is 596GB.

The size did not change, it's just that HDD makers use decimal system for size and most OSes use binary system. In decimal one MB is 1,000 KB, in decimal 1MB is 1024KB but in the end you are using the full capacity.
April 13, 2012 3:12:49 AM

Best answer selected by laptop4079.
m
l
!