Cannot view shared folders over the network

spider2000

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2004
Hi,
I have Windows XP Pro installed. I enabled file sharing on my computer to share some folders of mine over the network. the problem is when i try to access those folders from my other computer it gives and error. "My computer name" is not accessible. you might not have permission to use the network resource. ect" I use to be able to view my files. i don't know what happened. My firewall is disabled. I also deleted the network card and did a fresh install but still no good. I think it might be a windows problem. Any help i would greatly appreciate it. I still could remote desktop to my computer. So my clients are picking it up. all the other computers have XP installed as well. My machine could also view and enter the other computers on the network

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Make sure you have your guest account on. XP usually doesn't want to share anything with out that on.
If you have turned off the simple file sharing before sharing any files that would also cause that. You have to share a file using simple file sharing first so that you can click the little link that says enable file sharing.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Can you map a drive from a remote PC using the NET USE command and the IP address? like this:

C:\>NET USE * \\XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX\sharename /u:USERNAME PASSWORD

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>