Sign in with
Your question

Are my voltages and temps the usual for i5 3570k

Last response: in Overclocking
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 18, 2013 7:47:50 PM

I just bought a custom built PC with a 3570k and I read a whole lot about overclocking and figured I'd give it a try. I know around what my volts and temps should be, I just wanted to kind of compare what I'm running at to what some of you may be running at and I wanted to know what you guys thought of my overclock.

My hardware setup.....

Intel i5 3570k
Scythe Ninja 3 CPU Cooler w/1 120mm fan pushing... Should I get another?
Arctic 5 Thermal Compound
Antec 902 Mid Tower Case
Gigabyte UD3H Motherboard

My BIOS specifications....

Multiplier 47x
BCLK 100 (never touched)... Should I touch it?
Voltage 1.296 (verified with CPUZ even though I actually have it set at 1.315)
Intel Burn-in Test temps- Highest 85c Lowest 78c
Prime95 temps- Highest 74c Lowest 68c

I find when I use prime95 my temps are wayyyy low, even with the most extreme test. With intel burn-in test my temps go alot higher. I test with 10Gb or more RAM used with the highest stress test for hours and hours without failure. I also notice that I can get to 4.8 Ghz but it takes 1.380 voltage to get it stable and my temps go up to the hottest core being 90c and I don't want it to run that hot. Maybe it's time for a delidding or a water cooled setup.

Let me know what some of you are running at and let me know what you think of what I am running at. Is this good for a 3570k? Is it bad for a 3570k? Is it just ok? Let me know guys, reply to this thread, I've posted before with no luck, come on lets get this thing going, I wanna know your temps/overclocks, I have nothing to compare to.
a c 223 à CPUs
a c 135 K Overclocking
January 18, 2013 8:38:57 PM

Your OC seems VERY solid. Those temps are totally normal. Max temps for Ivy is 103C.
Unfortunately Ivy IHS is not soldered onto the cores directly as Sandy was(cost saving bullshit by Intel) so the heat transfers are not as efficient.

I have mine running at 4.6GHz(1.28v) constantly with max in IBT at 83C and max in P95 is 78C.

DO NOT touch BCLK.

I would suggest you lower your voltage a bit. See what is the minimum you can get away with after a few hours of prime95. 1.315 seems a bit high.

What have you set LLC(load line calibration) to?

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 18, 2013 8:44:36 PM

I have not messed with the LLC at all since I got it. I only know for sure how to mess with the multiplyer and the core voltage. And 1.315 seems like the lowest I could go. All my tests failed at 1.30 and earlier I was stable at 1.32. So I figured I'd go to 1.315 and it would still work. I guess I can try 1.305 or 1.31 and it will probably still be stable.

I see your clocks and voltages seem just below mine so it looks like we have similar quality chips.

How would you recommend to overclock your RAM, and tell me more about the PLL voltage?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 18, 2013 8:46:24 PM

Oh yeah, and prime95 never crashes my system. Only intel burn in test does that. So I'll have to try IBT to really see if it's stable and if temps are under control.
m
l
a c 223 à CPUs
a c 135 K Overclocking
January 18, 2013 8:55:22 PM

ericjohn004 said:
Oh yeah, and prime95 never crashes my system. Only intel burn in test does that. So I'll have to try IBT to really see if it's stable and if temps are under control.

I have a pet peeve againts RAM overclocking, the last time I did it was on an AMD APU system that actually benefits from increased RAM speeds. RAM OC provides almost no gain at all on Z77 Ivy. So I would not suggest that.

As for LLC. Try setting it to level 2, then try and reach a lower voltage again. LLC basically allows the voltage to dip, it controls the rigidity of your FIXED voltage setting. Level 1 is the most stiff, its the hardest to get stable but easier to hit higher clocks in some situation(watercooling for example with VERY high voltages use lvl 1).
Now level 2 is just a little less rigid, this is perfect for a medium-high OC on air. I use it as its much easier to get stability.
My ASRock boards LLC defualt was lvl 5, and that just bad. Yours should be like that too. So change that to level 2 and try dropping your Vs again. You should shave of some unnecessary voltage and by doing so even drop your temps.
Obviously this is not a garranty as its very chip specific, but you know that.
m
l
!