Anonymous
March 15, 2010 5:50:56 PM

Hi folks,

Currently I have had a working gaming PC running perfect with the below spec's:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3GHz Socket AM2 2MB L2 Cache Processor
ASUS M2N32 WS PRO nForce 590SLI Socket AM2 SATA 8channel audio ATX Mobo
Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Dominator Memory
2 x BFG GeForce 8800 Ultra’s (SLI’d)
6 x Seagate ST3320620AS 320GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200RPM 16MB Cache (RAID5)
Enermax Revolution 85+ 950W PSU
Windows XP SP3

Then about 3/4 months ago the PC started to freeze when booting into the BIOS, when the PC was idle at the desktop, and when the PC was put under any strain and I would receive the NV4_DISP.dll BSOD. Contacted NVIDIA tech support and ASUS, and then played ping pong between the two for about a further 3 months training to find an answer why this was happening.

Anyway I decided to give up completely after having the RAM, M/B, CPU, G/Cards replaced under RMA's and nothing changed. (Sorry that's my rant over with).

Moving forward, I have now decided to scrap the above PC and build a new one from scratch apart from keeping the current PSU and G/Cards and would like some advice on the following:

CPU: I cannot decide between the Intel Core i7-960 Quad Core Processor or the Intel Core i7-930 Quad Core Processor.
Mobo: Again I cannot decide if I should stay Asus or go for an MSI board.
Memory: I am looking at the 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz DDR3 Triple Channel Memory Kit.
G/Cards: Hopefully keeping the ones I already have.
H/Drives: Again hopefully keeping the onces I have.
PSU: Hopefully keeping this depending if it will be powerfull enough to power the full system.
S/Card: Possibily keeping the current Sound Blaster Audigy 2.

Any help for information would be welcomed.

THANKS!!

More about : system build

March 15, 2010 5:56:44 PM

It would be better if you just gave us a budget....

Judging by your list of parts, I'm guessing you have a massive budget, or at least high enough to not really matter. Here's what I suggest (I'll explain below):

CPU: i7-930 $295
Mobo: Asus P6X58D Premium $310
RAM: Mushkin Enahnced Redline 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 6 $240
SSD: Corsair Nova 128 GB $319
PSU: OCZ Z Series 850W 80+ Gold $170 after rebate
Case: HAF 922 $90
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $23
HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus $29

Total: $2,322.

CPU: Getting anything above the 930 is just a stupid waste of money. Once you overclock the 930, you won't know any different.
Mobo: High quality, and very future proof.
RAM: These are the fastest sticks on the market. If you don't fell like spending $200+ on RAM, grab these Corsair XMS3 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 for $175.
SSD: This will make the computer seem super fast. It would be adviseable to only put the OS and frequently used apps on it, as SSDs don't like to be constantly writing data. You can easily leave it out and lose very little. If you decide not to get a SSD, grab a Seagate 7200.12 500 GB for $55 as the boot/app drive. Newer HDDs are a lot faster than older ones. Using an old drive will just make the new build seem slow.
PSU: Enermax isn't very high quality. Also, this new unit will be much, much more efficient than an old unit.
Case: Not sure if you needed it, but if you want to get one of the new cards, you'll likely need the bigger case.
m
l
!