Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Samsung 830 128gb slow speeds and other concerns.

Last response: in Storage
April 10, 2012 12:35:40 AM

Hello, decided to finally join the SSD crowd, I bought a Samsung 830 128gb when it was on sale a week ago to install in my system to make it snappier. Although the boot up times, shut down times are night and day compared to my WD 1TB black drive I had as a OS drive before - I decided to run some benchmarks on it. The speeds are pretty bad compared to some of the ones I have been looking at online.

First off the installation of Windows 7 64 Bit Pro took over an hour to complete the CD drive seemed to just stop spinning while installing then kick back on again. After I got it installed the system would hang up when booting on starting windows screen for a good minute, I remedied that with a chipset driver update. The slow installation of Windows I later found out may have been due to a setting in the bios being enabled such as Legacy Floppy Drive and some other ones I quite don't remember - if it were not for the boot hang being fixed I would have done another fresh install of Windows.

I know Im running it on a SATA 3gb connection but I would of thought of better performance since some programs don't faster than they did with the HD, I have 51gb of space left so its not full for TRIM and Garbage collection.

Running everything on this Mobo: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M3A32MVP_D...

Things Ive done:
Made sure AHCI was enabled before installing OS on SSD
Latest Firmware via SSD Magician
SSD tweaks

Here are my benchmarks the write speeds are alarming.

Any help will be appreciated
Thanks,
Orlean

Best solution

a b Ô Samsung
a c 504 G Storage
April 10, 2012 1:03:12 AM

You have six 3Gb/s ports. 4 native AMD ports and 2 Marvell ports.
Verify that your drive is connected to one of the AMD ports (SATA1).
a b G Storage
April 10, 2012 2:42:01 AM

Whoa! Those write speeds are way way low. Does AMD have a SATA driver for your chipset? You're running the msahci driver which is Microsoft's generic AHCI driver.
Related resources
April 10, 2012 3:01:13 AM

Dereck47 said:
You have six 3Gb/s ports. 4 native AMD ports and 2 Marvell ports.
Verify that your drive is connected to one of the AMD ports (SATA1).

Wow thanks Dereck! It seems I completely overlooked the simplest thing, I had it plugged into the AMD SATA2 port not 1. Puzzling to me how everything else worked fine but just write speeds were effected.

Here's a re run of ATTO

April 10, 2012 3:04:47 AM

great job, good to know in the future!
a b Ô Samsung
a c 504 G Storage
April 10, 2012 3:13:21 AM

No problem!
April 10, 2012 3:43:59 AM

Best answer selected by Orlean.
!