Intel 3570K on Asus p8z77-V

loscohones

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
hello tom team;

i have an ASUS p8Z77-V MB, an Intel 3570K CPU, 4 slots of 4 GB Corsair 1600 DDR3. I went through some topics on the net and i'm unsatisfied with the results... in a nutshell i want to overclock my cpu to 4200 or 4400 without using the turbo on the bios. i dont want any fluctuations regarding the mhz.....i want my cpu to run 4200 or 4400 constantly, idle or under load. i have corsair H60 water cooling for my cpu so overheating can not be a big problem for me , but i want a stable system under w7 64x. so far my config was good, but the problem is....when i disable the turbo option in bios, i have to set clocks for both ram and cpu..the most stable i could get was 3720 cpu and 1715 ram. how can i get constant 4200 or 4400 ghz on cpu (without turbo ) and 1600-1700 on the ram?

Adroid

Distinguished
Something doesn't sound right. You should be able to adjust the CPU frequency independent of ram.

First, I suggest running the RAM at the rated speeds that came on the package label. Hopefully you did not buy ram that runs at 1.65V default. You want ram to run at 1.5V by default. If you have XMP enable RAM, use the XMP setting - but make sure you are not running over 1.5V afterwards. If you have to manually set your RAM, use the speeds listed on your RAM packaging, and leave everything else on "Auto"

Now you should be able to try the CPU Overclock. First, please tell me you are not using the BCLK to overclock. BCLK = overclocks various parts of your system (including your RAM), which is not what you want to do. You should have a setting in the BIOS that has "CPU Frequency" or CPU Multipler - something like that.

If you do not see a CPU Frequency setting (or similar), you either
1) May need to update BIOS or
2) Bought a 3570 CPU, not a 3570K - in which case you do not have an unlocked CPU

loscohones

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
the main problem is when i turn off turbo boost mode on the bios i can not access the multiplier settings (XMP mode) so i have to raise the frequency by hand which automatically raises the frequency of the ram. when i reach 3700 mhz on the cpu, my rams get topped to 1710 mhz, i cannot go further because system gives overclock fail on startup. But, with these settings the cpu runs constantly on 3700ghz. When i turn on turbo boost i can raise the multiplier to 42 - 44 no problems, without affecting the ram frequencies, ergo when i trace the cpu activity on realtemp i can see the cpu shifts back to 2000 something on idle and 4400 on load. my concern is: do these fluctuations between idle and on load modes affect system speed or cause any performance issues in gaming? should i use it like this or do i have to find a way to run the cpu in constant 4200 or 4400 mhz without the turbo boost?

thanx in advance for all your assistance ;)

Adroid

Distinguished

Again, something is wrong here. Adjusting your CPU multiplier should not affect your RAM at all. It sounds like you are increasing your BCLK which you DO NOT want to do.

Either you are in the wrong area of the BIOS, or you have a H77 Mobo, or once again maybe you need to update BIOS?

Try checking what version of your BIOS you have, then google it. See if others have had similar problems.

If you do need to update your BIOS - use extreme caution. This is a good way to render your motherboard completely useless.

loscohones

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

hmm ok ill dig for more info and hopefully will be back with more accurate description of the issue ;) thanx Adroid