Sign in with
Your question

Lost capacity of Hard Disk

Last response: in Storage
April 10, 2012 12:44:09 AM

Hi all,

I have one question to ask you. I have bought a new HDD (Size:250GB) to upgrade my computer.
When I put it together with other HDD (Size:80GB) and CD-Rom into the System, it didn't appear my new HDD. I don't know what matter with my new HDD, but i can see it works properly when there is only a HDD. After that, I found out my two HDD are conflicted.

I try to connect it again to system again. I set my old HDD (Size:80GB) as a primary and connected it using IDE0. Then I set my another new HDD(Size:250GB) as a primary and connected it using IDE1, and also Connect my CD-Rom with IDE1. Finally, all of HDD and CD-Rom are work together properly.

But, One problem is remain. My new HDD have turned its own capacity into 80 GB like the Old One.
I don't what's the matter with it? Are there any ways to deal with this problem? Please help me, and do not tell me it's broken:cry:  :cry:  .

Thank for your reading, and helping.
a c 113 G Storage
April 10, 2012 1:24:13 AM

with ide drive it sometime happens that new drives dont like the controlers of the old drive. also depending how old your pc is the mb bios might have a drive size limit. you can try and see if you can set the drive size up in your bios by hand. just google the model name and go to the vendor web site. (you need to put in by hand cylinder numbers/heads and landing zone if your bios asks for those settngs.if it dont you may have to update your bios or buy a new pci controler card that can handel the new hard drive.
a c 85 G Storage
April 10, 2012 2:07:17 PM

Look in the storage manager utility, what does it show you for drives, and their size?
Related resources
a b G Storage
April 10, 2012 3:08:21 PM

What is your OS version? some older Windows XP and earlier had limits on how large a hard drive it would support.
April 10, 2012 6:38:17 PM

Sometimes the MBR gets damaged and will not detect a new or old drive. I recommend running fixmbr command from the recovery console to recreate the MBR on the drive.
April 10, 2012 7:21:40 PM

Usually with IDE drives whenever you plug 2 devices on a single cable, one of the devices need to be master and the other one needs to be set as slave. (It's also possible to set both devices in Cable select mode, but it doesn't always work so I don't recommend it.)

First look at the devices you should see a set of metallic pins, with some of them linked with plastic jumpers. There's usually some markings on the device to specify in which position the jumpers should be set to set the device as master or slave.

When booting once the BIOS properly detects all 3 devices, you can go into windows in the disk management to format the new drive.

In winXP, right-click on "My Computer", then choose "Manage", it should be somewhere in there.

Once in the disk management section you should see 2 hard-drive devices in the list

First, you'll need to create a new partition on your new device, then format it (NTFS filesystem is recommended), pay close attention to what you're doing here to make sure you only make changes to the new hard drive.

I hope this helps

!