Sign in with
Your question

Strange Question about PC placement...

Last response: in Systems
March 15, 2010 6:33:37 PM

This is kinda out there but I would like to hear some input on the matter. Is it generally a good idea to put a PC in a desk like this? I have a desk that has a space like this one for a computer and that's where I keep my old Dell that I have now, but when I finish my build I'm not sure I wanna put it in there. Is it bad for cooling or does it really make that much of a difference??

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sauder-Computer-Desk-With-Hut...
March 15, 2010 6:59:29 PM

That would be bad for cooling. However, it wouldn't matter too much if you left the door open when using the computer AND didn't do any overclocking. If you plan to overclock, I would be wary of leaving the computer there without much airflow.
March 15, 2010 7:01:11 PM

I would leave the door open, actually I would probably take it off. But I have the Antec 902 case and I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to stick it in there....
Related resources
March 15, 2010 7:03:44 PM

This also might be kinda out there ... but you could always cut a major portion of the door panel and replace it with silk screen or something that would let air through, but still look nice ... and make sure the rear of the cabinet is open or at very least well ventilated.

You could even consider opening up the underside a bit as well so air can flow underneath if you have any fans/entry/exit slots on/near the bottom of your case.

Just some wacky ideas to consider.
March 15, 2010 7:14:59 PM

You may want to check if the 902 will fit in the space. Since it's Walmart, it would be selling to the masses, who would have the smaller Dells/prebuilts. A custom case may not fit in it.
March 15, 2010 8:15:32 PM

MadAdmiral said:
You may want to check if the 902 will fit in the space. Since it's Walmart, it would be selling to the masses, who would have the smaller Dells/prebuilts. A custom case may not fit in it.

That link was just to give you a picture of what my desk looks like - I know the 902 will fit in mine. Actually there is quite a bit of room on top and on the sides so I think I will be good.
!