Sign in with
Your question

Laptop overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
January 18, 2013 8:59:54 PM

is there a way to overclock the i5 cpu on acer 5755g...its running on 02 bios.....i scourged the net but cannot find a solution for my query....or any other query on laptops..2nd question: are laptops harder to oc than desktops? i have both but i recently started to use laptops... ( desktop lover since 1988)

More about : laptop overclocking

a c 202 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
a c 129 K Overclocking
January 18, 2013 9:13:49 PM

Unfortunately laptop BIOS are locked, so you can not adjust core multiplier or BCLK on them.

Besides, its not a good idea as the laptops are designed with a specific TDP(thermals) in mind. So if you OC them you are very likely to cause overheating and damage.
January 18, 2013 9:18:40 PM

Most laptops don't offer the ability to overclock with the bios unless is a high end gaming one because laptop cooling isnt nearly as good as destops and they dont want you to burn out your processor. The only thing I can think of is to try and use the Throttlestop utility but from what I heard it only works on first gen I cores. I don't think it would be worth it bro.
Related resources
January 19, 2013 10:06:37 AM

thanx for quick replies people ;)  i guess i should leave the poor laptop alone :)  :) 
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2013 9:03:13 PM

ThrottleStop supports Core 2 and all Core i generations including your CPU. What this program can adjust on a CPU depends on the CPU model as well as the motherboard bios. Many features on the newer laptops are locked by the manufacturer. There are some unlocked bios versions out there for many laptops but I don't really recommend flashing your bios.

ThrottleStop 5.00
http://www.techinferno.com/downloads/

Many Acer laptops have inadequate cooling and this can result in severe CPU throttling. Acer typically uses clock modulation throttling controlled by the chipset. ThrottleStop will let you monitor for this problem as well as correct it. If you have a throttling problem, the best first step would be to thoroughly clean out your laptop. You might also have to replace the thermal paste to maximize your cooling.

With modern laptops, overclocking is not as important as just making sure that your CPU and GPU are running at their rated speed. ThrottleStop is a good tool for that. Keep an eye on your CPU and GPU temperatures to make sure they are OK when playing with ThrottleStop. The initial warning message is intended for enthusiasts with unlocked processors that used to get a little too enthusiastic when using ThrottleStop. :) 

January 23, 2013 8:37:28 PM

unclewebb said:
ThrottleStop supports Core 2 and all Core i generations including your CPU. What this program can adjust on a CPU depends on the CPU model as well as the motherboard bios. Many features on the newer laptops are locked by the manufacturer. There are some unlocked bios versions out there for many laptops but I don't really recommend flashing your bios.

ThrottleStop 5.00
http://www.techinferno.com/downloads/

Many Acer laptops have inadequate cooling and this can result in severe CPU throttling. Acer typically uses clock modulation throttling controlled by the chipset. ThrottleStop will let you monitor for this problem as well as correct it. If you have a throttling problem, the best first step would be to thoroughly clean out your laptop. You might also have to replace the thermal paste to maximize your cooling.

With modern laptops, overclocking is not as important as just making sure that your CPU and GPU are running at their rated speed. ThrottleStop is a good tool for that. Keep an eye on your CPU and GPU temperatures to make sure they are OK when playing with ThrottleStop. The initial warning message is intended for enthusiasts with unlocked processors that used to get a little too enthusiastic when using ThrottleStop. :) 

thanx uncleweb, ill try that, btw a month ago i wanted to change the therm paste on the acer but the case proved to be somewhat difficult to crack and i couldnt go all the way so i put it back on without taking more risk, im not too shabby on mechanics but i miss the cpu&heatsink-fan access plates they used to put on older laptops. made things so much easier, now you have to disassemble the whole darn thing to put your hands on the cpu area :) 
!