Sign in with
Your question

Gaming and Graphic Design Homebuild question

Last response: in Systems
March 15, 2010 6:45:18 PM

Not sure if I'm posting in the right area but it seemed to make the most sense

I have been looking around this and a few other websites for a similar case as mine but all I keep finding are people doing one or the other- Gaming OR Graphic Design.

Well, I do my fair share of both so I don't feel as though these results fit me as well as I hope to receive now.

My build (or what I am looking at doing right now) is going to be as follows

Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz
Stock cooler because I have no intentions of OC
ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156
8Gb G.Skill Ripjaw 1333 RAM
1TB WD Caviar Black SATA 3Gb/s HDD
OCZ 700W PSU
and the item I have the question about
XfX GTS 250

All packed inside a CM HAF-932

As stated before, the question I am posting about regards to the graphics card I have selected, I understand it is not a top of the line card (or even the most well received card) but it is cheap.

The reviews I have read on it say that it will work well with Adobe's Creative Suite which I am going to be using quite a bit
But some also say that it will run some newer games on high (if not max) settings

Now I am trying to find some of you with personal experience in this board and whatnot to see if the aforementioned build will do what I need it to

I probably won't be doing much if any 3d rendering or anything

All responses are appreciated.

Thanks,
-Andrew
March 15, 2010 6:55:20 PM

What are your budget limitations? You may as well get a better card if you have some flexibility in budget. From what I understand the GTS 250 is a slower performing 9800 GTX+, and ironically the 9800 is about 20 bucks cheaper.

Take a look; <<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...;>

I would definitely consider switching that GPU
m
l
March 15, 2010 7:05:39 PM

Ah I forgot to put my budget on there, my bad

With the stuff I listed I'm sitting at 1,700 shipped
That includes a monitor and a few other things.

More than what I would like to spend but I would say that's about where my budget is.

I thought the GTS250 was a 9800GTX+ with more memory?
m
l
Related resources
March 16, 2010 6:01:39 AM

An HD5770 has replaced the Gt250

Whenever I get some more funds built up I'll get another and crossfire them if necessary.

Or see what's available then.

Good thing about computers is that they're generally pretty easy to upgrade.

Only hard part is the part I have been stuck in for the past 3 days or so and that's trying to figure out which is the best value:p ower ratio.

I think I've finally hit that, until of course someone else comments which I welcome.
m
l
March 16, 2010 6:03:44 AM

(the reason I picked the 5770 over the 4870 is because of Eyefinity, I may not be able to use it right now due to lack of displayport monitor but I like the idea of it being available.)
3 monitors make me a happy, happy man.
m
l
!