Computer for school with specific requirements

starlight

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
I'll list the requirements school has and the computer I'm interested in. Can someone let me know if the computer I want to buy covers everything cuz I'm confused on their 3,000 MHZ requirement.

They mailed us this:
Operation system:
PC with running windows xp home or professional recommended (but later they say xp vista or windows 7 too)
Pc with 300 MHZ processor clock speed 1GHZ or better recommended
Power PC G3, G4, G5 processor 500 MHZ or better recommened
CD-ROM with speakers
128 MB of RAM 256 MB or higher recommended
56KBPS modem (broadband=DSL CABLE modem recommended)
Super VGA (800x600) or higher resolution adapter and monitor
CD ROM or DVD drive
sound care and speakers with headphone port
available usb port

Then on the school website it has this:
Pentium III, 3000 MHz or better
2GB of memory (RAM) or more recommended
Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7

The computer I'm interested in only list this:

•Intel Pentium Processor T4400
2.20 GHz, 800 MHz Front Side Bus, 1 MB L2 Cache
•3GB DDR2 system memory
has enough memory to handle today's most memory-hungry applications
•250GB 5400 RPM SATA hard drive
Store your music, videos, photos and documents with plenty of space to spare
•SuperMulti 8X DVD+ with Double Layer Support
Play and create CDs and DVDs with this DVD/CD burner drive
•Wired Ethernet; Wireless WiFi
Connect to a broadband modem with 10/100 Gigabit Ethernet; Connect wirelessly to a WiFi network or hotspot with built-in 802.11b/g WLAN (No Draft-N on this unit)
•15.6" HD Widescreen High-Brightness LCD Display
1366 x 768 resolution; Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M with 1695 MB video memory

Additional Features

•5-in-1 digital media reader
•2 x USB 2.0 ports, 1 x VGA connector, 1 x headphone/speaker/line-out jack, 1 x microphone-in jack, 1 x RJ-45 port, 1 x DC-in jack for AC adapter
•6-cell lithium-ion battery (up to 2.5 hours)
•AC power supply included

I'm just on a semi tight budget. I would prefer to stay under $500 but to not exceed $700. The reason I'm getting a new computer is because this current one isn't a laptop and has to be rebooted every few months.

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
The reason why you have the 3000 MHz restriction is that some apps declare that it is required for that kind of speed, which is just not so. BTW the pentium is a horrible choice, even for a cheap laptop. Also, eMachines is amongst the worst you can buy from.

Altogether you would be wasting that hard drive and memory with such a crappy cpu. If you a cpu that has a dual core and will give you all that while still being relevant tech. Go for a Turion x2 laptop. Thats just my suggestion though.

starlight

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
The only other brand I can think of is HP. I hate toshiba its not happening and dell forget about it. I am not getting an AMD processor either those suck incredibly bad. I know that much.

Okay but tha doesn't tell me much. The 3000MHZ restriction. I'm asking if there is a way to tell if this has that? If not what computer? I'm soo confused. :(

Thanks.

The computer you're looking at far exceeds other standards the school is mentioning.
That Pentium III 3000 MHz or better reference might be a mistake. Only Pentium 4s reached 3Ghz and better.

In terms of CPU power a Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz would score @ 488 on the Passmark CPU benchmark test.
The Pentium Dual-Core T4400 @ 2.20GHz you mentioned scored @ 1543 on the same benchmark.

starlight

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
That is why I asked if it was a typo. But I don't think she is very computer literate on that subject, so she said no. But if one thing said 300MHZ and the site says 3000MHZ. I'm confused. It doesn't make sense at all that is why I'm posting here. Just to know if the one I'm looking at is basically enough.

starlight

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
I've seen great reviews for it. Its $400 only. So thats why I'm going towards it. The only flaws I saw which in my case be MAJOR cuz the school involves good speakers, someone said speakers weren't the best. That concerned me but its a lot cheaper and thats why I go towards it. I have the same computer its been great for the past 10 years.. but I haven't ever gotten a laptop version of it. Now that someone else builds the comp cuz they got bought off it may not be the same quality. So I just don't know anymore.

I also saw these two but way beyond what I should be spending:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?storeName=storefronts&landing=rts_notebook&category=rts_notebook&orderflow=1&a1=Processor&v1=Intel&product_code=WA779UA%23ABA&catLevel=2

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?storeName=storefronts&landing=rts_notebook&category=rts_notebook&orderflow=1&a1=Processor&v1=Intel&product_code=WA683UA%23ABA&catLevel=2

Never get the Best Buy warranty. The HP warranties? The only one I'd choose and I'd suggest you don't need it.
The i3 330 might be bottom of the barrel but it still a step up from the T4400.
T4400 = 1543
i3 330 = 2006

THG has its own Laptop section and I hang out there from time to time.

starlight

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
Hmm do you think I could spare some more of your time to see if there is anything similar? Cuz I read it has a real flat keyboard its hard for some people. I'm not used to typing on keyboards so thats kind of scaring me.