Closed

Gaining Memory

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Windows 7
  • RAM
Last response: in Memory
November 13, 2010 1:59:44 PM

I am using a system that is running off Windows 7 64 bit. Can I up the RAM to 8gigs? It is as simple as changing the two sticks to 4 gig sticks? Do I have to do something to the BIOS to get the computer to accept the 8 gigs of RAM. I am using a Toshiba Satellite L555 64 bit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

More about : gaining memory

a b } Memory
November 13, 2010 3:35:17 PM

You don't need more than 4G of RAM for normal PC use, you won't use the other 4G in any application.
Score
November 13, 2010 8:40:23 PM

I have two high end games on this system, World of War Craft and Wings of Liberty, both have a lot of graphics and are played online. Will changing the RAM to 8gigs help with this. This computer was set up for gaming, Toshiba 64 bit L555. It seems to lag at times during play. Will the extra RAM help with this?
Score
Related resources
November 13, 2010 8:43:17 PM

Two 4gig sticks are not that expensive thru my distributor. I have a friend in the computer supply business so the up grade will not cost me much, but if it will not help then no us in doing it.
Score
a b } Memory
November 14, 2010 3:58:27 AM

It's not the RAM, it's the GPU or the CPU, adding more RAM won't help.
Score
a b } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
November 14, 2010 4:12:02 AM

Mafia 2 is a hi end game and will put extreme demands on GFX subsystem. WoW comes no where near that category.

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US...

Minimum System Requirements

Windows® System XP/XP64/Vista/Vista64/7** OS (with the latest Service Packs or updates):

- Intel Pentium 4 1.3 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 1500+
- 1 GB or more of RAM
- NVIDIA® GeForce® FX or ATI Radeon™ 9500 video card or better
- 25.0 GB available HD space
- 4X DVD-ROM drive (Downloadable Installer also available)
- Broadband Internet connection
- Keyboard/mouse

Recommended Specifications

Windows® System Vista64/Windows 7 OS:

- Dual-core processor, such as the Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 X2
- 2 GB RAM
- 256 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600 or ATI Radeon™ HD 2600 or better
- Multi-button mouse with scroll-wheel
Score
a b } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
November 14, 2010 4:21:59 AM

I'm going to take a different position than my two colleagues, but come to the same conclusion.

I find 8GB is useful in WoW. It ensures that 4GB is usable by WoW and its addons, while ventrillo, browser, anti-virus, and Windows and her friends occupy "other" memory.

However, given your processor and more importanly your graphics adapter, I don't see you gaining any performance in WoW. And in most other non-MMOs, the memory isn't likely to help in any case.
Score
November 14, 2010 1:19:58 PM

This is one of toshibas best gaming laptops, it has an AMD Turion II DC Mobile M520 2.30GHz processor, ATI Mobility Radeon HD4200. 4gigs of RAM. It should be running both of the games without any problem but it still lags at times during game play. Can any of you think of a reason that this is happening? The processor is fine and the graphics adapter is fine as well. It is a problem when you are in the middle of online play and the computer starts to lag so you cannot keep up with the people playing with you. I like twoboxers response but the 8gigs will really not help at all?
Score
November 14, 2010 2:45:32 PM

it sounds to me as its online lag (latancy) i used to play wow on a gaming desktop with alot more power than your laptop and it still lagged from time to time, Even if your have the best ISP if your playing on a mission with others with high latancy it will cause you to lag as well, because it cant keep up. Also blizzards servers some times cause lag as well.

Also @ jacknaylor.
WoW is a high end game and even the fastest systems find it hard to play wow on max settings, the OP might have to ajust his settings abit lower
Score
November 14, 2010 3:16:39 PM

You know it is strange that Star Craft: Wings of Liberty will play without a hitch online but WoW will lag no matter what I do. It seems they could come up with a solution for this, blizzard that is. I guess I am stuck with what I've got. Thanks for everyones help!!!
Score

Best solution

a b } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
November 15, 2010 1:06:04 AM

I know its a good laptop - but compared to desktop units the cpu is a slow dual core. There's just no escaping that.

When you are raiding, and there's alot of toon movement, all different equipment textures, add-on communications, and combat data to deal with - its just not enough horsepower to deal with high graphics settings.

I don't know what resolution you're playing at, but I'd go as low as reasonable and elimintae shadows, lower particle desnity significantly, and if possible adjust the view distance.

I honestly don't think 8Gb is going to help - its honestly the last thing I'd do to improve performance in WoW, but I do think it helps there where it doesn't help in other games.
November 15, 2010 2:35:44 PM

Thanks twoboxer, I know I am stuck with what I have to play with unless I upgrade to a better home type cpu with more of everything. I am going to Fry's Electronics, they are the big boys in San Diego ,CA. and see how much it will cost to get a super good gaming system. Again thanks for your help and advice, it was greatly needed. Hopefully if I do this I can keep up with the rest of my team on WoW and Star Craft. They are starting to get a little ecked with me!!! If you ever find a way to improve this email me please thomastrob@gmail.com.
Score
November 15, 2010 2:37:21 PM

Best answer selected by thomastrob.
Score
a b } Memory
November 15, 2010 5:35:05 PM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!