Solved

Can I run windows 7 on a server mb and cpu

Can I run windows 7 on a server mb and cpu?

Can play games on it and is there a major drawback to playing games on a server platform?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows server
  1. Almost certainly yes. Best to be specific about the hardware though. Always some sort of 'gotcha' with certain unusual hardware combo's.
    And yes, you can play games on a server platform as long as you can get a decent video card up and running.
  2. Thanks for the advice. I was wondering if I could use the new AMD 12 core server processor with an appropriate mb. What a system.
  3. Best answer
    What games works better with that AMD CPU than an nicely overclocked Core i7-930? I don't know of any that run better on a dual CPU 12core setup.
    And for certain you won't find a Crossfire or SLI server motherboard.
  4. dmbinbc said:
    Can I run windows 7 on a server mb and cpu?

Can play games on it and is there a major drawback to playing games on a server platform?

The server motherboard makes no difference in gaming. However, a server cpu does matter, & since most of the mainstream server CPUs have low clock speeds, they won't run games as efficiently as similarly priced desktop processors.

Quote:
    I was wondering if I could use the new AMD 12 core server processor with an appropriate mb. What a system.

Yes its a great system, but certainly not for games.
  5. ksampanna said:
    The server motherboard makes no difference in gaming. However, a server cpu does matter, & since most of the mainstream server CPUs have low clock speeds, they won't run games as efficiently as similarly priced desktop processors.

Quote:
    I was wondering if I could use the new AMD 12 core server processor with an appropriate mb. What a system.

Yes its a great system, but certainly not for games.

ya, I think I will go with the i7 930 cpu and asus rampage III extreme

and wait and see where intel goes with its 32nm.
  6. Best answer selected by dmbinbc.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Windows 7 Games Servers Product