Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can I run windows 7 on a server mb and cpu

Last response: in CPUs
May 24, 2010 5:58:00 PM

Can I run windows 7 on a server mb and cpu?

Can play games on it and is there a major drawback to playing games on a server platform?

More about : run windows server cpu

a c 203 à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
May 24, 2010 6:04:38 PM

Almost certainly yes. Best to be specific about the hardware though. Always some sort of 'gotcha' with certain unusual hardware combo's.
And yes, you can play games on a server platform as long as you can get a decent video card up and running.
m
l
May 24, 2010 6:09:39 PM

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering if I could use the new AMD 12 core server processor with an appropriate mb. What a system.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 203 à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
May 24, 2010 6:16:39 PM

What games works better with that AMD CPU than an nicely overclocked Core i7-930? I don't know of any that run better on a dual CPU 12core setup.
And for certain you won't find a Crossfire or SLI server motherboard.
a b à CPUs
May 24, 2010 7:52:11 PM

dmbinbc said:
Can I run windows 7 on a server mb and cpu?

Can play games on it and is there a major drawback to playing games on a server platform?

The server motherboard makes no difference in gaming. However, a server cpu does matter, & since most of the mainstream server CPUs have low clock speeds, they won't run games as efficiently as similarly priced desktop processors.

Quote:
I was wondering if I could use the new AMD 12 core server processor with an appropriate mb. What a system.

Yes its a great system, but certainly not for games.
m
l
May 24, 2010 9:39:05 PM

ksampanna said:
The server motherboard makes no difference in gaming. However, a server cpu does matter, & since most of the mainstream server CPUs have low clock speeds, they won't run games as efficiently as similarly priced desktop processors.

Quote:
I was wondering if I could use the new AMD 12 core server processor with an appropriate mb. What a system.

Yes its a great system, but certainly not for games.

ya, I think I will go with the i7 930 cpu and asus rampage III extreme

and wait and see where intel goes with its 32nm.
m
l
June 1, 2010 4:55:02 PM

Best answer selected by dmbinbc.
m
l
!